Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Student Debt in the Headlines

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Any money saving tips for poor people?

Share tips for saving money and making the most of your income

Postby beaton » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Well my job screwed me over and I have no source of income at the moment, my boyfriend is paying rent until I find a new job and not to mention he got his hours cut so we have no extra money , which means no money to set aside , and who knows how long it will take to find a job... Any good advice? I don't have anyone to ask..
beaton

Postby mahad » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:03 pm

Examine all your expenses. What can you live without? Can you cut back your cell phone plans to a cheaper plan....or a pay as you go phone? (just don't use it if you don't have too) Can you get cheaper internet? Think of all the things you are paying for now that did not exist thirty years ago. (things like internet and cell phones) People have lived without them for years, so you can cut those things back for a few months. Be sure to watch your energy usage. Turn things off that are not being used. Keep the room temperature a few degrees cooler than usual to save on heating costs.

Do you watch for sales at the grocery store? Do you use coupons? Do you buy name brands or do you buy generics? You can save a bundle on groceries if you shop for bargains and avoid name brand whenever a generic item will work.

How often do you eat out? How often do you go to the movies? How many times do you buy things that you don't really need? These are all things you can live without until you get a better income. It is hard to do, but it can be done.

Avoid spending money on little things. Don't buy Itunes or pay for apps for phones or other digital devices. It may seem like only 99 cents, but if you do that once a day, that just became $30. And if you both do it once a day, it just became $60 in a month.

Basically, every time you think you want to spend some money, ask yourself: "Do I NEED this or do I WANT this." If you answer this question honestly and avoid buying too many "want" items, you will have enough money for the "need" items.

Good luck. (and be sure to check on unemployment just in case you might qualify.)
mahad

Postby ainsworth » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:05 pm

Go easy on the heat/cooling expenses. If there is someplace nearby where you can hangout without attracting attention or spending money, go there for the free utilities (library, book store, workforce center, etc) Use rags instead of papertowels, paper towels are expensive. Hang laundry to dry rather than use a clothes dryer, you can put them on hangers on the shower curtain bar. A bottle of downy is cheaper than a clothes dryer. Start spending immediately like you have no money, don't wait until it runs out before you get frugal. Look into getting a less expensive cable package, or possibly discontinuing it altogether. Maintain the things necessary for successful employment: car, health, phone, internet access (which you can also get at the library).
ainsworth

Postby denton » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:20 pm

You should try to file for unemployment if you can. And I'm going through the same thing. You should look for a job every single day, and just cut back on stuff. Don't eat out, cook in, spare your spendings on things you don't need, and just be really frugal. It's the only thing you can do. I know this isn't a lot of help, but I hope it did help some. It's a tough situation, and I'm struggling myself.
denton

Postby teiji » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:28 pm

Don't buy any drinks but milk. Water and milk, leave alcohol and sugary drinks out of the picture. If you smoke try to stop for a while or try not to smoke a lot. Cigarettes can be expensive over time. Don't waste electricity doing things like leaving lights on for extended periods of time and gaming. For your new income you can try many small jobs and ways to make some cash on the side.
Here's a link :)
http://onecentatatime.com/101-ways-to-earn-extra-money-from-side-hustle/
Or this..
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/things-to-do/50-ways-to-make-money
teiji

Postby emmanuele » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Until you get back on your feet saving money should be the least of your worries. I would make sure your money that you have will keep food in the fridge and heating / electricity bills paid. You will need to budget as much as your can for life's necessities and ditch all the habits that cost money until you are employed again.
emmanuele

Postby bramm » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:53 pm

visit local library/bookstore for
Total money make over, Dave Ramsey.

will save u decades and 100,000s$ in
poverty life lessons.

books on job hunting / interviews at library.
bramm

Postby aeneas16 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:01 pm

visit local library/bookstore for
Total money make over, Dave Ramsey.

will save u decades and 100,000s$ in
poverty life lessons.

books on job hunting / interviews at library.
If you were fired - file for unemployment

apply for food stamps

visit food pantries

call around for help paying utilities

aeneas16

Postby bramwell8 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:13 pm

eat ramen and hot dogs and turn the lights off
bramwell8

Return to Money Saving Tips