Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: John Oliver Talks About Student Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Can a Vet deny you emergency help when your animal is dying due to lack of cash?

Credit Card Debt discussions & tips

Can a Vet deny you emergency help when your animal is dying due to lack of cash?

Postby hyatt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:08 pm

Our cat got really sick, real suddenly. We brought her to the vet two days ago and they gave us meds and some food. She got progressively worse and last night it got really bad, but when we called the local vet clinic, they refused to help cause we didn't have cash in hand. She ended up dieing in a very horrific and unnecessary way. Is that ok of the vet to do that?
hyatt

Postby brittan53 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:12 pm

Vet care is not like care for humans. Humans are never turned away due to lack of money as us taxpayers foot the bill for welfare, medicare, etc. There is no such thing for pets. And vets have learned the hard way that they generally get "stiffed" when they are kind and offer care without cash. Then, after doing expensive surgery and treatment, they get no compensation and end up turning the bill over to a collection agency. The only way to avoid things like this is to have an established relationship with a vet, whom you see yearly and ALWAYS pay on time. They will often let you slide then for the unexpected. The other way is to have cash in the bank for emergencies, or a credit card handy. Sorry about your cat, but you cannot blame the vet.
brittan53

Postby newyddilyn17 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Could have brought your cat in with out an appointment considering this was an emergency situation and could have dealt with the money issues later. It's like going to the ER for your self. Take care of the problem then deal with costs later.

Sometimes you just don't have the time to call. If you tell them you don't have the money, but......they're always going to say NO. Sometimes you need to go around the block to get some action.

Was this the same vet you took your cat to the first time? If it was then I have to say that the vet or who ever you talked to on the phone made the wrong decision.
newyddilyn17

Postby peyton89 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:29 pm

Vets are a business, they don't ave to give care unless you pay them.

Some vets will only stabilize the pet but won't do anything else unless you pay them. If you didn't have money for the cat then why did you have one/ Cats get sick, they need vet care, don't blame the vet because you didn't have money for the cat. Blame yourselves for it

You could have had the cat humanly put down instead of letting it suffer or expecting free vet care
peyton89

Postby hennessy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:38 pm

I beleive they could ..U know i think that it would be pretty ****** up if they didnt help due to cash cuz it means they dont care for there sick animals.even hospitals how can they find it in there heart to say no sorry cant help .how can they charge somone to save a pure life. None of them are sorry it could be changed if everyone went on strike for charging the sick.. So wat if they cant pay thay cant live on there way. Messed up. My cat is dying right now i know how ufeel icant do anything iv jyst been trying tost ay by her side an comfort her.WHO WANTS TO GO ON STRIKE? Dont charge the sick or the passing! Its wrong plain an simple
hennessy

Postby chane » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:49 pm

Yes, it is legal for the Vet to do that. That is why you should try to find a very sympathetic Vet in the future, who will take payments, etc.. A Vet will insist on getting paid before treatment, because if the pet dies, a LOT of people then do NOT pay the Vet, since the pet is dead, anyway.
chane

Postby alo21 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Sadly, even in emergency situations a vet is usually only required to stabilize an animal and that's it. If the owner can't pay for further treatment the vet can deny treatment.

Sorry to hear about your cat and sorry I don't have a happier answer.
alo21

Postby glifieu » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:06 pm

Yes, unfortunately, that's the way it is. If you don't have any money, they can refuse to treat your pet. Maybe you should've asked if you could have a payment plan if the vet knew you...

Some vets are kind and some are in it just for the money. I am lucky. For my vet, pets come first, talk money after. If one of my cats were ill and I did not have any money, he would never turn my pets away. He is very caring and understands that sometimes, life is rough...

Sorry for the loss of your cat:(
glifieu

Postby peverell » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:19 pm

i am sorry for the loss of your cat.
vets do not have a legal right to give treatment unless they know they will be paid. some vets will at their own descression. i know my vets will, but if payment is not made within agreed time they will not treat any more animals from that owner, nor give credit even if the orginal debt has been paid.
peverell

Postby neued » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:27 pm

I have heard of medical Doctors removing stitches from a patient when it was discovered the patient could not pay.

Vet's don't have to administer any care whatsoever without some green being produced.
neued

Return to Credit Card Debt