Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Student Debt in the Headlines

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Can I claim my cousins on my taxes?

Taxes! We hate paying them, so let's discuss maximizing tax deductions!

Postby keifer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:43 am

I have 6 cousin living in my home with me and my two kids. I have been the only one working two jobs and paying all the bills for the home and helping take care of the kids when their mom is at school. They have been with me since February 2012 can I claim them on my taxes this coming tax season and if so how do I do it I so my own taxes online with tax act I just don't want to do any thing wrong.
keifer

Postby burney » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:44 am

Yeah you definitly can claim them on your taxes...they're dependents that you're supporting! I'm pretty sure when asked how many dependents you just state that youre declaring your kids and then your cousins as well. Just to be sure you get the most money out of it possible, call an accountant just making sure you don't have to add anything as well! Good luck
burney

Postby chlodwig » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:56 am

Under certain conditions you may be able to claim non-children or other dependents on your taxes. Though it might depend on how much income they make, how much you have helped them out, and how much of the year they have been living there.

My parents claimed me once on their taxes as a dependent (not as a child) cause I was living there more than half the year, and because I didn't make enough money.

You might consider getting help filing your taxes, and filing them early, also if any of them are old enough to be filing their taxes, let them know you have claimed them as a dependent and already filed. If they file as not your dependent, the IRS may reject their filing, or investigate both of the taxes to sort out the situation.
chlodwig

Postby lang75 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:20 am

Nope.
lang75

Return to Taxes