Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: John Oliver Talks About Student Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Can i claim my disabled mother on my tax return?

Taxes! We hate paying them, so let's discuss maximizing tax deductions!

Postby bornani » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:52 am

my mom recieves disabilty...which means i dont think she pays taxes. I live with her (moved back home to take care of her) she gets about 1200 a month...Was just wondering if there were stipulations for or against claiming a parent on your tax return that recieves disability from the government. Also 1 more question. In the state of DE if you work for a temp agency, when your assignment is over can you file for unemployment?
bornani

Postby lang75 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:00 am

And she does own her own home and you are living with her in her own home and she is receiving 1200 month income from some source that she is using to pay for her own support RIGHT.
Temp agency work ask your UI office this question to MAKE sure that you do get the CORRECT answer that you need and want or just ask the HR department at this Temp agency about the UI benefits amounts for this purpose and time in your life.
They MIGHT be able to give you some information if they would be contributing any amount of FUTA for the people that they are paying to perform the services at that time in their life.
Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 12/08/2012
lang75

Postby ardell » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:07 am

it would appear your mother provides more than 50% of her support therefore you cannot claim her
if DE has some special rules about employment you need to address that with the state web site for answers
it would appear that you quit to move to be with your mother and you are not eligible for unemployment for when you quit
the temp agency is an employer and reports your wages on a quarterly basis, if you worked during the test period you would be eligible for unemployment
ardell

Postby niyol » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:12 am

You can't claim your mother unless you are her sole means of support and supporting her affects your income. She is not your dependent the way a child would be (she has her own income). Idk about the unemployment, but it doesn't sound probable.
niyol

Postby abisha44 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:16 am

In order to claim your parent, you have to provide for over half of her support for the entire year. I assume she spends her $1,200 on her support, so you would have to provide more than $1,200 monthly toward her support. This would be necessary, but depending on whether she owns her home or not, it may not be enough to show you supported her.

The IRS Pub 17 has good worksheets for you to figure out the amount you pay toward her support. Unless you have earned an average of at least $2,400 a month, it will be difficult for you to show that you provided over half of her support.

In addition to the support requirement, your mother would have to have gross income of more than $3,800 for the year. If her only income is Social Security disability, she has zero gross income. Also, your mother must not be filing a joint return with a spouse.

The fact that your mother is disabled, or that you live with her, do not change the qualifications needed for her to be your dependent.

As far as unemployment, all you can do is apply and see what happens. Each state is different as to the time you need to be employed, and amount of wages you need to have earned, etc.
abisha44

Postby baynbridge21 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:19 am

You'd have to be able to show that you provide more than 1200 a month toward her support. If the two of you are living in a house that she owns, that's VERY unlikely. If you rent, and you pay the rent, very possibly.

Basically you would have to provide over half of her support.
baynbridge21

Postby jarin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:25 am

You did not support her.
And no, temp work does not qualify for unemployment.
Not even if you work 10 years as a temp
jarin

Postby urki » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:29 am

She is most likely getting SSI from Social Security. No you cant claim her and she doesnt have to pay taxes on that.

Im in Illinois and thats what the temps do here if they worked long enough the year before to put anything to collect on.

A temp pays taxes just like anyone else and they ARE able to collect unemployment if they worked so many quarters of a year.
urki

Return to Taxes