Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Student Debt in the Headlines

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Can I get a stafford student loan if I owe the IRS money?

Discuss strategies for dealing with Student Loans

Postby ephram24 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:53 am

As long as you do not owe money to federal student aid, you should be okay getting the stafford loan. Maybe you have been through some financial hardships and that is why you owe money on taxes, maybe it was your preparer's fault( I know some preparers that just trust the computer without knowing how to do this stuff. I am serious. I have worked with them)

I am not one of those tax preparers. I am going to tell you exactaly what is going on if you ask me. You can get the loan, but I suggest that for your current situation you consult a professional, or work out a payment plan for your taxes.

However the debt to the irs might not be totally your fault. You can e-mail me 2 @ [email protected] with any ? you might have. Thanks in advance.
ephram24

Postby gti » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:59 am

yes, the IRS and the Dept of Ed are two totally different govt departments and you can owe taxes and still get federal student aid.
gti

Postby alai » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:05 am

nope
alai

Return to Student Loans