Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Student Debt in the Headlines

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Can someone else deposit a check into my bank account?

Taxes! We hate paying them, so let's discuss maximizing tax deductions!

Postby diandre » Sat May 05, 2012 4:22 pm

More specifically, a tax refund check that's made out to me.
The thing is, I recently moved to a new country and I don't have a bank account here yet and there are no branches of my bank, etc. etc. So I am keeping my account back in the US until I get my own here (which they said was perfectly fine). I recently got my tax refund check mailed to my home in the US (where my father lives) and was hoping he could just deposit it into my account for me.
My bank said no, since it wasn't signed by me and I wasn't there. It seemed harmless enough since he was only asking to deposit it and wasn't asking to take any money out at all. But oh well. I can't go back home just to deposit that check (the cost of the trip would make getting that money pointless), but that money would help me out a lot right now, so I really need it.
I read online that I can write an authorization letter to allow my dad to sign my checks for me. I write the letter, I sign it, he signs it. Done? Is that it? Should the bank legally have to accept that, or do I have to do something more special in order for them to?

I also plan on calling my bank and discussing it with them, but timezones are completely off. So, I figured I'd see what you guys know about it in the meantime. I also don't want my bank to try and tell me I can't do something that I really am legally able to do.

Thanks for any input.
diandre

Postby chandler87 » Sat May 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Yes they can deposit it for you. It doesn't have to be signed at all if the name on the check matches the name on the bank account. That's all up to bank if they'll accept it that way according to the Uniform Commercial Code.
chandler87

Postby renaldo41 » Sat May 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Yes do call your bank and I am sure that they will help you.
You can also call another branch of your bank and ask them the same question without giving your real name or just say you don't have an account with them but you want to open an account with that check.

Also is there any way that your dad can post you the check via recorded delivery so you can sign it? This my be your best option if you do not wish to write a authorization letter or even a fax which will be quicker and you can do that in your now time zone.
renaldo41

Postby angor24 » Sat May 05, 2012 4:42 pm

I am glad tot tell you that you can write an authorization letter to allow my dad to sign my checks for me.

I know banks can be a bit strange with you want to put money into an account as I've had the same experience also.

What ever you do don't close your bank account after because you never know when and if you will need it again in the future.
angor24

Return to Taxes