Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Can the welfare take my taxes if my ex owes it.. i am now paying welfare reimbursement from child support chec?

Taxes! We hate paying them, so let's discuss maximizing tax deductions!

Can the welfare take my taxes if my ex owes it.. i am now paying welfare reimbursement from child support chec?

Postby reilly » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Ok my question is since my ex was on cash aid welfare (tanf) and she filled for child support .. now i owe the welfare for what she was getting ... then once paid off then she will recive her childsupport money ..but can the welfare take my taxes to finish paying them even if im not behind on my child support ...?? Is owing to welfare state considered owing to child support ???
reilly

Postby gabrielo23 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:53 pm

You don't owe for every cent she received in TANF.
You owe the amount of the court order, starting with the effective month of the court order.
You don't pay the state anything. That is support, you owed for the children, and the state advanced it to the other parent, in hopes that you would pay what you owe, and they oould accept it as repayment for support.

If you paid as much as you owed, according to the court order, then there is no arrrearages, and your refund will not be attached.
If you started out four months behind (common), and never made up those months, then there are arrearages, and your refund will be attached.
The state does not get any money, other than repayment. The taxpayers receive no benefit from you paying your obligated support payments.
gabrielo23

Postby walden47 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Get all the orders and your proof of payments. Prepare a spreadsheet. Copy everything and send it to the agency with a claim for the overpayment. To answer your question, yes they can. If there is any question that you owe the public money they will withhold it knowing that you will come to them to prove otherwise.
walden47

Postby bramm » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:15 pm

If you owe back support to the state, they can take your federal refund. The money she received from the state to benefit HER is her obligation. But she was probably eligible for whatever she got only because it was for the baby. So, yeah, it's all on you. Sucks, but true.
bramm

Postby marquise » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:16 pm

If your caught up on your back support and making court ordered payments every month like your suppose to then I don't see why they would take anything from your tax.
marquise

Return to Taxes