Hey guys ive been really struggling with these, please help! I will give best answer.
You work 35 hours/week for 52 weeks and are given the option to be paid hourly or to go on salary. In which situation will you earn the most? (1 point)
$30,000/year with a 5% bonus
$17.50/hour and a $1,500 bonus at the end of the year
Your gross pay is $1,843.45. Your involuntary deductions are FICA (7.65%), federal withholding (9%), and state withholding (6.5%). How much are you allowed for housing and fixed expenses? (1 point)
Your parents have 3 credit cards. Each has its entire credit line used, and the credit limits are $1,800.00, $2,600.00, and $3,500.00. Paying off and closing which card would increase your parents' debt ratio the most? (1 point)
The debt ratio remains the same.
- Posts: 464
- Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:05 pm
1. The work year has 35*52 = 1820 hours. At $18.50/hr, your pay would be $18.50*1820 = $33,670 per year.
By inspection, this is the highest of the choices.
It is more than $32,000, which is more than $30,000 *1.05=$31,500. Since there are 1820 hours, a dollar an hour (18.50-17.50) is more than $1500.
2. We don't know the proportion of your pay that you budget for housing and fixed expenses. After taxes, your pay will be $1843.45*(0.7685) = $1416.69.
If the items listed are required to be less than 50% of your pay, they cannot exceed $708.35.
3. Paying off debt *decreases* the debt ratio, assuming that assets are used to pay the debt. The question makes no sense.
As a rule, it is best to start with the smallest debt. That way, the psychological benefit of achievement helps you with the larger debt. It also gives you more resources with which to pay the larger debt.
- Posts: 455
- Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:29 am
1. Gross pay under the four scenarios is:
18.5 * 40 * 52 = $38,480
30000 + 30000 * 0.05 = $31,500
17.5 * 40 * 52 + 1500 = $36,860
2. Total deductions are 7.65% + 9% + 6.5% = 23.15%, which leaves 100 - 23.15 = 76.85% as take-home pay.
1843.45 * 0.7685 = $1,416.69
Potentially, this full amount is available for housing and fixed expenses, but this is not a choice and it ignores variable expenses. Perhaps some information is missing from the problem?
3. If "debt ratio" means debt-to-income ratio (the normal way of looking at consumer debt), paying off debt will lower the ratio, not increase it. Paying off the credit card with the greatest debt will make the biggest change in the ratio, though.
If the ratio is inverted to "income-to-debt," paying off the credit card with the most debt will increase the ratio the most.
- Posts: 445
- Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:00 am
Return to Credit Card Debt
- Consumer math / Credit card math question?
by norwell » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:42 am
- 1 Replies
- 259 Views
- Last post by crespin
Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:50 am
- Can someone help me with my consumer math?
by daveed92 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:08 am
- 0 Replies
- 111 Views
- Last post by daveed92
Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:08 am
- Consumer math!?Help please?
by bohannon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:52 pm
- 1 Replies
- 165 Views
- Last post by duncan
Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:54 pm
- Consumer Math help!!! please?
by chane » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:34 am
- 0 Replies
- 58 Views
- Last post by chane
Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:34 am
- Consumer math help? I don't know what I'm doing.?
by felicio » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:09 am
- 1 Replies
- 143 Views
- Last post by norwood6
Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:18 am
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: aeneas58, alex24, amory61, bainbrydge, bardulph55, baynebridge53, cuithbeart50, felicio, fredrick38, fyfe, galloway, gehard, gerrit, gilford, giovany, haji, harlow, huldiberaht66, maralyn, merrick, osrid80, rani, raylen70, redley, vardon, weddell, worton5 and 0 guests