Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Graduates Using Volunteer Work For Student Debt Relief

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Do hospital bills fall off your credit report in 7 years?

Talk about declaring bankruptcy, the issues involved and it's suitability to your financial problems

Postby atkinson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:37 am

I have at least 30,000 in hospital bills, definitaly not paying it back in this lifetime, im disabled and i have an application for SSI, someone told me bankruptcy is always a bad idea, so im thinking im just going to wait.
atkinson

Postby acair » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:38 am

Typically doctors/hospitals expect payment on the date of service. Medical bills will fall off your reports 7 years from the date of service. If you're filing for SSI then there isn't much they can do to you. But, if you're ever sued then you need to file an answer and then show up to the hearing to prove to the judge where your funds come from. For that type of debt they cannot take your money but if you fail to let the judge know you're on SSI then you might find your bank account frozen or the funds seized. If that happens you can always get it unfrozen or the seized funds back but it generally is a hassle and it takes awhile before you get your funds back. It's much easier just to show up for the hearing after being sued.

I'm not saying that they will sue, I'm only saying that if they do then your best interests would be to show up for it.

Also, if you do end up on SSI then there's no reason to file bankruptcy since you would be judgment proof. If you don't file bankruptcy and they don't sue then your reports will be clean after the time I mentioned above. If you file bankruptcy then your reports will be trashed and for a much longer time. If they file suit then there's the possibility of the judge dismissing the case because of your judgment proof status.

edited to add.
Just because a person is on SSI or SSDI does NOT mean that they can never get credit. Plenty of people that are on those programs are granted credit cards, car loans, mortgages, etc. It's still an income (a means of paying the bills) it's just not a 'working' income.
acair

Postby bing » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:51 am

it will fall into collections and interest will be added. i'm in same boat. go into hosp with your financial info., speak with the folks in accounting and set up a payplan for yourself. i currently pay 5.00/mo.. they are not charging me interest. i mail them a m.o. monthly. the bill will never be fully paid in my lifetime either but my credit rating isn't effected, i don't get harassing phone calls. when i finally expire, they'll take the balance from the estate and whatever is unpaid gets written off. do all this before it goes to collections, as once collections has it, they own the account aand will never work with you like this. good luck.
bing

Postby cinnard » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:56 am

Bills come off your credit report after 7 1/2 years, unless the creditor gets a court judgment against you, in which case it can stay for 10 or 20 years. However, if you are disabled, no job (?) and on SSI, you are not getting any credit going forward, as your income cannot be garnished, so why worry?
cinnard

Postby dontay » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:01 am

Yes, unless the creditor gets a judgment against you. Then the reporting period is 7 years after the judgment was granted.
If you don't have any assets, then I wouldn't worry about bankruptcy. Your SSI income cannot be garnished for consumer debt.

Good luck
dontay

Postby jianguo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:09 am

I think bankruptcy vanishes after seven years. Not sure about bills.
jianguo

Return to Bankruptcy