Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Graduates Using Volunteer Work For Student Debt Relief

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Family Tree Creator No Credit Card or Free Trail or Download?

Credit Card Debt discussions & tips

Postby derrik » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:08 pm

PLEASE HELP! I love learning about family history and have always wanted to make a family tree! I have tried websites before, but I'm only 15, so I can't use a credit card, NOT THAT I WOULD!!!! I don't want a free trial and I certainly don't want to download anything! Do you guys know of any websites that I can use?! Please help and respond immediately. BTW, It would have to be something that helps me organize a family tree and research my family. I would love ancestry.com but I won't use it because of the free trial or credit card or whatever. I tried it once a while ago. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
derrik

Postby neued » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:10 pm

You have some good answers. Also many public libraries have a subscription to Ancestry.Com you can use for free. Just be very very cautious about their family trees. This is true really of any genealogy website but I think Ancestry.Com encourages bad genealogy with its ads. The trees are submitted by the subscribers, Yes, my love, there are errors. Even when you see the absolute same information on the same people from many different subscribers that doesn't mean the Information is accurate as too many people copy without verifying. Actually if you find any of your family in an online tree and you know the information is wrong, those that run the websites will tell you that is between you and the other subscriber. They don't get involved. It would be too costly for them to hire people to verify all the info people submit.

Now, they have lots of records.; Just don't regard family trees as records. Also don't expect to find info on the living as that can be an invasion of privacy and can lead to identity theft. To start with get as much information from living family as possible. Find out if any has any old birth, marriage and death certificates, family bibles, land records, wills etc. Interview your senior members and tape them if they will let you. They very likely will get into telling stories you wouldn't write down but if you go back and listen to the tapes again while doing research you frequently will hear things you didn't hear the first time around. Also depending on the religious faith, baptismal, confirmation, marriage certificates from their church can frequently be just as helpful as civil records if not more so.

Also try https://familysearch.org/ It is absolutely free. Go to a Family History Center at a Latter Day Saints(Mormon) Church. They have records on people all over the world, not just Mormons. In Salt Lake City they have the world's largest genealogical collection. Their FHCs can order microfilm for you to view for a reasonable cost if you find something int their database you would like to check or make a copy of the original document. I have never had them to try and convert me nor have I heard of them doing that to anyone else that has used their resources. A lot of their volunteers are not Mormon.
neued

Postby pepillo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:13 pm

The two most popular free genealogy database software programs are Legacy Family Tree and RootsMagic Essentials. Both programs have paid versions with more features but the free versions will give you more than enough to get started and help you organize what you already have.

The LDS Church had a free program called PAF, but they have discontinued support and are recommending the above two programs.

There are thousands of free genealogy sites. Start with Family Search.org, USGenWeb, CyndisList and Find a Grave.

Happy hunting
pepillo

Postby adolf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:30 pm

At 15 you are also not legally old enough make a contract.
Try familysearch.org
adolf

Postby gearald » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:46 pm

http://www.familyecho.com
gearald

Postby derrik » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:47 pm

You can download PAF for free from the Mormons. You may not agree with their theology (I don't) but they won't trick you and it won't have a virus. PAF has tens of thousands of users. I read "no download"; I'm arguing that you should. If you do, your data will be on your PC where you have control over it. PAF is to genealogy research what "Word" is to writing a novel; it doesn't do the work for you, but it makes it 100 times easier than using a pencil and paper.

There isn't any such thing as a "free" site". They all cost someone money. Some are free to you because a church or genealogy society or individual or government organization is footing the bill. Some are free to you because they throw ads in your face and the advertisers foot the bill. Some are subscription sites.

If you find a site that stores your data on their server for free, there is nothing to say they can't wait until you have 300 hours of research invested in your work and then either sell it to others or tell you they are going to have to start charging you. If your 300 hours of research are on your PC, they can go whistle.

There are over 400,000 "free to you" sites devoted to genealogy. There are over 3,000 resolved questions of the form "How can I find my family tree, for FREE?", too. The answers are full of links and tips.

99.99% of you kids lose interest when we tell you genealogy research is work, a bit like doing a term paper in history class. Also when we say it will take hours, not minutes. If you don't lose interest, write to me via my profile with the names of a parent and child or husband and wife who were alive and living in the same house in the USA in 1930 - even better, husband, wife and two children - and I'll look for them in the 1930 census to give you a head start. I'll need name, birth year and birth state.
derrik

Postby merrick » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:03 pm

You can download PAF for free from the Mormons. You may not agree with their theology (I don't) but they won't trick you and it won't have a virus. PAF has tens of thousands of users. I read "no download"; I'm arguing that you should. If you do, your data will be on your PC where you have control over it. PAF is to genealogy research what "Word" is to writing a novel; it doesn't do the work for you, but it makes it 100 times easier than using a pencil and paper.

There isn't any such thing as a "free" site". They all cost someone money. Some are free to you because a church or genealogy society or individual or government organization is footing the bill. Some are free to you because they throw ads in your face and the advertisers foot the bill. Some are subscription sites.

If you find a site that stores your data on their server for free, there is nothing to say they can't wait until you have 300 hours of research invested in your work and then either sell it to others or tell you they are going to have to start charging you. If your 300 hours of research are on your PC, they can go whistle.

There are over 400,000 "free to you" sites devoted to genealogy. There are over 3,000 resolved questions of the form "How can I find my family tree, for FREE?", too. The answers are full of links and tips.

99.99% of you kids lose interest when we tell you genealogy research is work, a bit like doing a term paper in history class. Also when we say it will take hours, not minutes. If you don't lose interest, write to me via my profile with the names of a parent and child or husband and wife who were alive and living in the same house in the USA in 1930 - even better, husband, wife and two children - and I'll look for them in the 1930 census to give you a head start. I'll need name, birth year and birth state.
Most of us around here don't recommend storing your family tree information on websites, free or otherwise. It's much better to use a genealogical software program on your own computer to organize and store data for a variety of reasons. When you upload/store to a website, the information becomes their intellectual property. Also, it can create a situation for you where you either have information missing or violate privacy laws and etiquette standards by posting information about living people.

Some of the websites allow you to upload from genealogical software. This requires a download or installing a copy purchased at an electronics/office supply store. It also usually doesn't allow direct editing. All you can do is upload a new copy. Others allow you to input directly into the website (like ancestry.com). Most of these websites are for a fee.

The only free option is to download free software. Free software (like PAF) is available at https://familysearch.org/products

The only option without a download is to purchase a copy of the software from a software dealer. Stores like Best Buy, Staples, and Office Max sometimes carry packages like Family Tree Maker.

None of these help with research. They store and organize the information so you can be productive in your research. To research use one document at a time, one person at a time, one generation at a time. There are tens of thousands of free websites and offline resources. Which resource is most helpful will depend on where the document you're looking for is stored, which depends on where and when your ancestor lived, what records they left behind, and where the record can be found today. Not everything is online and/or free. Attempting to use just one free website will leave a lot of holes in your research.

Some helpful free starting places:
http://www.cyndislist.com/ (START with How To and Genealogical Standards and Guidelines)
https://www.familysearch.org/
http://www.deathindexes.com/
http://www.censusfinder.com/
http://www.findagrave.com/
Here -- Many of us have resources or knowledge specific to certain documents, times, places, and groups.
Google -- Look for local libraries, archives, agencies, and GenWebs, or websites similar to above for your ancestor's country.
Offline -- Libraries, archives, museums, genealogical societies, Family History Centers (operated by the Mormons), etc. BIG note: FHCs and some libraries have free access to some of the paid subscription sites like Ancestry.
merrick

Return to Credit Card Debt