Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Finance problems regarding the CAPM formula and WACC formula?

Talk about personal loans and managing them to lower your debt

Finance problems regarding the CAPM formula and WACC formula?

Postby bramm » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:40 am

I have trouble solving these 4 problems in my Finance Homework, I tried multiple times but I still could not figure out the right answer.

1. A company is 40% financed by risk-free debt. The interest rate is 10%, the expected market risk premium is 8%, and the beta of the company's common stock is .5.

Requirement 1:
What is the company cost of capital?

I used the CAPM formula on this on, 10%*.4+.5(8%+10%*.4+10%*.4), got 12%, wrong, I tried putting numbers in the answer box, 10%,8%,6% all wrong.

Requirement 2:
Assume the company pays tax at a 35% rate. What is the after-tax WACC?

I could not figure out what is the equity and debt ratio on this one...

2. Nero Violins has the following capital structure:

Security Beta Total Market Value
($ millions)
Debt 0 $ 100
Preferred stock .20 40
Common stock 1.20 299

Required:
(a)
What is the firm's asset beta? (Hint: What is the beta of a portfolio of all the firm's securities?) (Round your answer to 2 decimal places.)

(b)
Assume that the CAPM is correct and riskfree interest rate of 5% and a market risk premium of 6%. What discount rate should Nero set for investments that expand the scale of its operations without changing its asset beta? (Round your answer to 2 decimal places. Omit the "%" sign in your response.)

This problem I am completely stuck...

3. Binomial Tree Farm's financing includes $5 million of bank loans. Its common equity is shown in Binomial's Annual Report at $6.67 million. It has 500,000 shares of common stock outstanding, which trade on the Wichita Stock Exchange at $18 per share.

Required:
Calculate debt and equity ratio

Debt Ratio = 5/(5+6.67+9) = 24% wrong.... ($18*500000 = 9000000)
Equity Ratio = 6.67+9/5+6.67+9 = 27% wrong...

I'm stuck

4. An oil company is drilling a series of new wells on the perimeter of a producing oil field. About 20% of the new wells will be dry holes. Even if a new well strikes oil, there is still uncertainty about the amount of oil produced: 40% of new wells that strike oil produce only 1,000 barrels a day; 60% produce 5,000 barrels per day.

Required:
Forecast the annual cash revenues from a new perimeter well. Use a future oil price of $50 per barrel. (Enter your answer in dollars not in millions. Omit the "$" sign in your response.)

This one I have no idea...

Please help!! :(
bramm

Return to Personal Loans