Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: John Oliver Talks About Student Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Have to fill out a IT-2104-E, but i'm very confused about it. Please help!?

Taxes! We hate paying them, so let's discuss maximizing tax deductions!

Postby safwan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:43 pm

so the IT-2104-E says,

To claim exemption from withholding for New York State personal income tax (and New York City and Yonkers personal income tax, if applicable), you must meet the conditions in either Group A or Group B:
Group A
• you must be under age 18, or over age 65, or a full?time student under age 25; and
• you did not have a New York income tax liability for 2010; and
• you do not expect to have a New York income tax liability for 2011 (for this purpose, you have a tax liability if your return shows tax before the allowance of any credit for income tax withheld).

If you do not meet all of the conditions in either Group A or Group B (irrelevant to me) above, stop; you cannot claim exemption from withholding

- So I am a full time student under age 25 (i'm a dependent)
- I didn't have tax liability in 2010 because I didn't even have a job
- I don't know if I'm going to have a tax liability for 2011. I am a dependent and will earn under a $1000 working total-- so i don't think I am supposed to file a tax return for this.

I'm not sure if i am supposed to fill out this form or not. Please offer your advice! Thanks in advance!
safwan

Postby bayne75 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:54 pm

so the IT-2104-E says,

To claim exemption from withholding for New York State personal income tax (and New York City and Yonkers personal income tax, if applicable), you must meet the conditions in either Group A or Group B:
Group A
• you must be under age 18, or over age 65, or a full?time student under age 25; and
• you did not have a New York income tax liability for 2010; and
• you do not expect to have a New York income tax liability for 2011 (for this purpose, you have a tax liability if your return shows tax before the allowance of any credit for income tax withheld).

If you do not meet all of the conditions in either Group A or Group B (irrelevant to me) above, stop; you cannot claim exemption from withholding

- So I am a full time student under age 25 (i'm a dependent)
- I didn't have tax liability in 2010 because I didn't even have a job
- I don't know if I'm going to have a tax liability for 2011. I am a dependent and will earn under a $1000 working total-- so i don't think I am supposed to file a tax return for this.

I'm not sure if i am supposed to fill out this form or not. Please offer your advice! Thanks in advance!
The filing requirement for dependents in the state of New York is $3000 (I actually just went and looked). If your total income for 2011 is $1000, you will not owe and therefore can claim exempt.
bayne75

Postby holdin27 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:57 pm

if you are in the A group, you are allowed to claim the exemption and this would mean you indicate that on the form, if you don't no one knows not to withhold those taxes
you have to indicate by the form of your status(just like a W-4, indicates for federal taxes--payroll isn't psychic
holdin27

Postby bramm » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:01 pm

I am assuming that this form is required by your employer. If my assumption is correct, I would recommend that you fill it out to the best of your ability and give it to your employer.
bramm

Return to Taxes