22. One of the many nonviolent acts of Mohandas Gandhi was (1 point)
the Balfour Declaration.
the Triumph of the Will.
the Salt March.
23. Establishing _____ by January 1, 2002, was one of the European Union's first goals. (1 point)
a common European import tax
a common European currency
a common language
a unified European military
24. Which book led to the movement to protect the environment? (1 point)
A Wild Sheep Chase
Little Red Book
One Hundred Years of Solitude
25. Which view does Pan–Africanism promote? (1 point)
African nations should enter a common treaty alliance.
African nations should share a common language.
African nations should adopt western–style capitalist economic systems.
Black Africans share a common identity.
26. "Green Revolution" means (1 point)
the development of new virtual strains of grains that do not require chemical fertilizers.
the development of new strains of grains that have higher yields.
the deforestation of rain forest areas to create new farmlands.
the development of new strains of grains that do not require pesticides.
27. Serbia refused to allow _____ to remain an autonomous province after its war with Bosnia, and new tensions between the two arose. (1 point)
28. As Gorbachev sought to reform the Soviet Union, one of the most serious problems he faced was (1 point)
ongoing tensions between the leaders of the Warsaw Pact nations.
Russia's Silent Spring.
the multiethnic nature of the Soviet Union.
the ongoing war in Pakistan.
29. Iran and Iraq tensions are fueled by (1 point)
disagreements over the use of OPEC funds.
disagreements about U.S.–Arab relations.
disputes over territory.
disputes over the sovereignty of Kashmir.
30. Increasing demand for _____ leads to deforestation. (1 point)
raw materials to produce shoes
new sources of oil
new sources of chemical fertilizer
31. In November 1917, the _____ stated Britain's intention to make Palestine the national home of the Jews. (1 point)
32. An oligarchy is a (1 point)
country that claims to be a republic, but is actually ruled by a zaibatsu.
system in which society owns the means of production.
government in which a select few exercise control.
government that glorifies the state above the individual.
33. _____ sought to create national art that would portray Mexico's past, as well as Mexican festivals and folk customs. (1 point)
Gabriel Garcia Marquez