Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: John Oliver Talks About Student Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Hilton Hotel, How much do they hold on your credit/debit card?

Credit Card Debt discussions & tips

Postby sion » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:20 pm

I'm just booked the hilton metropole in london, but I've already payed and booked it, how much when i check in will they then want to hold for amunities? if i tell them i won't use a thing i will just be using the hotel to go out in the morning and come in at night, what will they hold for that?
sion

Postby halley » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:23 pm

They won't hold anything unless you run up a bill. They only take your credit card details as security. If you don't run up a bill, they don't take a penny. You will still have to present your card when you check in, but as long as you don't rack up any bills our credit card won't be touched.
halley

Postby dudley46 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:27 pm

The don't hold anything. It's just in case you use room service or make calls from your room or use anything from the minibar or charge food / drinks to your room in the restaurant or bar.

They might check to see that you have available funds on your credit / debit card but they won't charge anything at all, they just swipe it so they can use it if you run up a bill and then leave without letting them know.
dudley46

Postby gti » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:33 pm

They shouldn't hold anything. Once you have checked out if you have used anything they will automatically bill your card.
gti

Postby dridan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:39 pm

Alright,

Here in the United States, when a card is used, most hotels will indeed do a hold. I would suspect in London the same thing is done.

Most hotels will hold an additional amount (even though it is prepaid) up for incidentals (like room service, damages, anything you bill to your room).

My hotel does 150%. So lets say your total (prepaid) was 100.00 even. That means when you check in, you will need to have an available balance of $50.00. The actual formula needed depends on the hotel. My sister hotel does an extra 250.00 for the stay. (+ Room and Tax if its not already paid for).

My former hotel did 3%, so if you had 100 total stay, we would auth for 103.00 at check in (and if it was prepaid, we would auth for 3.00).

However, if the hotel at check-in determines your a high risk, they may up it. (or if your being an asshole to the clerk... I have herd of that before, but its rare).

Now, Debit Cards and Credit Cards work similar, but can have A HUGE EFFECT ON YOUR VACATION.

Debit Cards:

Although an authorization is not a charge, it will look as one on your online banking statement until the actual amount is posted. This means the auth will place a hold, and take it away from your available balance. Though technically the money never left the bank, and no charge was placed.

Credit Cards:

Credit card auths take away from the credit line. So if you are no where near your limit, and have no plans to bring in that high of a balance, it doesn't matter. However if you have a small limit, you could have no problems.

IN GENERAL:

NEVER EVER USE A DEBIT CARD AT A HOTEL.
dridan

Return to Credit Card Debt