Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Student Debt in the Headlines

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

How can I pay 12k in Credit card debt and 31k in student loans?

Discuss the debt reduction technique known as Debt Consolidation

Postby chisulo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:53 am

I'm 25 and married w/o kids living in Michigan. I make around 33k a year. My wife was laid off and she is using the opportunity to go back to school for free while getting unemployment which is only $150 a week.

I owe 12k in credit card debt and 31k to my student loan. With the cost of living and paying all the minimums, we're living from paycheck to paycheck. She wont be finished with school for 2 years and I can't live like this that long… I know I could pay the debt in a matter of months if we moved back in with our parents but that’s out of the question for her.

Is there anything I can do? Are there fair debt consolidation programs for people in my situation?

Thanks.
chisulo

Postby scannalan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:58 am

See http://www.debtreliefprogram.esuperfind.com?id=hra0tt16koo9 you might or might not get approved depending on your location. They are quite good, an Experian company.
scannalan

Postby gti » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:06 am

Debt consolidation is a risky tactic of deliberately ceasing all payments to creditors and forcing your accounts into default to attempt settlements. You pay a monthly fee to a debt consolidator....this entire fee goes towards building a settlement account and to the consolidator's fees to “settle” your accounts in the future. Your credit card companies will deliberately not be paid so that all the accounts will default/charge-off so that they can attempt settlements at around 50%. If you are current on your accounts, this process will ruin your credit rating for sure. Debt settlement is like a roll off the dice with your finances...You can never predict how your creditors will respond to the deliberate defaulting of your accounts...they might settle at 50%...or they might serve you a summons, take you to court...and if they win, you could be looking at wage garnishment. These companies work with credit card debt...not student loans.
---------------
As you're probably aware, student loans can't be discharged in Chapter 7, but the $12K in credit card debt can. Maybe filing for Chapter 7 on the credit card debt might be an option. I generally think that $15K is the minimum that anyone should consider filing...but do what you need to do to provide for you and your family. Just remember that you can only file for Chapter 7 once ever 8 years...not every time you get into financial trouble.
---------------------------
Another option is to enter into a debt management plan through CCCS for the credit card debt. They only work with the credit card debt and not student loans. They can negotiate lower interest rates and payments...In general to about 2% of your total balance and interest rates down to 9 - 10%. They will require you to stop using all credit and to cut up your cards. Your credit report will be updated to "enrolled in debt management." This does not damage your credit, but it may make it difficult to obtain new credit while you are enrolled in their program....so don't use this service if you anticipate applying for a new apartment, car loan or mortgage anytime soon, as you would might be denied while you're enrolled in the CCCS debt management program...If your wife need student loans then be careful about entering into this program.
gti

Postby napayshni » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:12 am

That is a good question, and help me out here cause if I am reading this properly you seem to be able to make the minimum payments but it is tight correct.?
Well I see that you have many options.... first thing you should be doing is preparing a household budget , very detailed . Determine what can be cut and what has to stay, many items this exercise under covers some waste and gives you the ability tackle more of your debt issue .
I can tell you personally it can be done, I used to make 50K and since then have lost my income by 18K. THe funny kicker is I am making more of a debt payment today then I ever could accomplish at the higher salary.
Buckle down and run everything through a fine tooth comb re-evaluate daily.
Good Luck - need help just ask
napayshni

Postby gilford » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:16 am

Tell her that she has got to put whatever feelings she has to one side and move in with your parents. Your school loans are not going anywhere so you cannot get rid of the bulk of your debt.
gilford

Postby julian » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:20 am

Hello, i am MARY PARKER from New YorK, i saw your question on yahoo answer and i want to refer you to the international loan company that help me consolidate my depth ,when i was searching for loan and i was in a bad shape, a friend of mine introduce me to CLARKE LOAN FIRM that help me get out of my depth, the company offer all kinds of loan to any where in the world at a very low interest rate and even if you have a bad credit and low income they still offer service so long you agree to the repayment information, they are the only international loan company that can help you get a quality loan with a fast transfer without any upfront fees .contact them and i am sure they will be of great help to you .within 24hours. here is their contact [email protected]
julian

Return to Debt Consolidation