Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Graduates Using Volunteer Work For Student Debt Relief

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

How much do you have to make in order to not pay taxes?

Taxes! We hate paying them, so let's discuss maximizing tax deductions!

Postby morrison » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:45 am

the place i work the owner doesnt claim taxes on me so how much do i have to make before i have to pay taxes
morrison

Postby burgh77 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:51 am

FICA (Social Security and Medicare tax) are levied on dollar 1 ($1). So, your employer is treating you as either an independent contractor or "under the table).

There are IRS regulations regarding employee versus independent contractor. Many construction companies try to classify their employees as contractors.

The reason an employer does this is to avoid payroll taxes. An employer has to contribute to FICA for each employee, pay unemployment tax (state and federal) and carry worker's compensation insurance. By treating employees as contractors, they believe they can avoid these expenses.

You can contact the IRS, your state's Department of Taxation/Revenue (for state withholding) and your state's unemployment commission to report this employer. They will be happy to do an audit and determine if the employer is falsifying records or not.
burgh77

Postby athdara » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:57 am

keep track of all you receive you will need to report this on sch C and if the 'net' amount is $400 or more you will also file Sch SE where you calculate your self employment tax
all this may not amount to your non taxable income(personal exemption and standard deduction) but the self employment tax will have to be paid
athdara

Postby hadyn48 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:00 am

You owe taxes on yoru income even oif the owner is committing tax fraud.
hadyn48

Postby pearson » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:03 am

$1.

The owner should be giving you a W-2. Give him a W-4.
pearson

Return to Taxes