Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: John Oliver Talks About Student Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

I'm a victim of identity theft what can I do?

Credit Card Debt discussions & tips

Postby donnel » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:42 am

I've received several calls from credit card companies as well as Kohl's department store concerning credit cards that have past due balances. I've never opened a credit card or have even applied for one. My mother has admitted to opening cards in my name. Is there anything that I can do, without sending my mom to jail, but will still ensure that this debt doesn't fall on my shoulders?
donnel

Postby chane » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:54 am

This is really really bad! I don't really know if there's anything that you can do without sending your mom to jail. Boy, you got yourself in a pickle. I was reading about identity thefts in a book I got from my school library. Right now, at the stage your in, I don't think I saw anything about how to get yourself out of this without breaking your expectations. You got the "thief" and the only thing they really said was to send them to jail. I don't know how this helped but I hope you can get out of this!
chane

Postby cas » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:59 am

What a headache!
It will destroy your credit rating, too. And that can effect many other things
Eventually, there will be debt collectors and maybe a drama in Court. You could even end up in jail.

It is essential that you make a police report.
Perhaps you do not need to mention your mother.

Sometimes it is not credit companies at all, but bad people trying to harvest your details or get some money out of you.
So - just in case -
Contact the companies involved, but not by replying directly to the address given in the mail.
IE, look up their Email address, and then write to them, adding a copy of the mail you think they sent.

Tell them it isn't you.
Send them a copy of the police report - proof that you are being straight with them.
Ultimately, you would think that they cannot make you responsible for money you do not owe. That is not necessarily the case - so get moving.

You do not want to send your Mom to jail. That's very praiseworthy and loyal.
But remember that your Mom had no such moral dilemma about ripping you off - in effect, stealing money and getting you the blame for it. She has betrayed you.
She should accept responsibility for her own actions.
I'm so sorry.
You are not the first person to be in this situation.
cas

Postby halil » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:12 am

What a headache!
It will destroy your credit rating, too. And that can effect many other things
Eventually, there will be debt collectors and maybe a drama in Court. You could even end up in jail.

It is essential that you make a police report.
Perhaps you do not need to mention your mother.

Sometimes it is not credit companies at all, but bad people trying to harvest your details or get some money out of you.
So - just in case -
Contact the companies involved, but not by replying directly to the address given in the mail.
IE, look up their Email address, and then write to them, adding a copy of the mail you think they sent.

Tell them it isn't you.
Send them a copy of the police report - proof that you are being straight with them.
Ultimately, you would think that they cannot make you responsible for money you do not owe. That is not necessarily the case - so get moving.

You do not want to send your Mom to jail. That's very praiseworthy and loyal.
But remember that your Mom had no such moral dilemma about ripping you off - in effect, stealing money and getting you the blame for it. She has betrayed you.
She should accept responsibility for her own actions.
I'm so sorry.
You are not the first person to be in this situation.
There is something you can do. Call the creditors and explain to them that you did not open these credit accounts, and you have no idea who did. They will have to open an investigation into it. If they link it to your mom, well that was her choice to screw you. You can't let anyone, not even family use you as a door mat. Good luck.
halil

Return to Credit Card Debt