Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: The Worst Kinds of Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

I ordered my wedding dress online from China. Will I have to pay customs/import tax?

Taxes! We hate paying them, so let's discuss maximizing tax deductions!

I ordered my wedding dress online from China. Will I have to pay customs/import tax?

Postby diandre » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:20 am

I ordered a wedding dress online and it's only like $250, will I have to pay import tax or customs? It gets shipped in a small box and shouldn't weigh more than 2 kilo's. I want to know so if something happens I'm prepared, also where would I pick it up if customs did take it?
diandre

Postby azzai » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:21 am

For $250, no. You can import up to $800 duty free.
azzai

Postby haslet » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:29 am

The customs limit is actually $200 on shipped items. Your item is also clothing. Textile items have a fairly high duty rate.

If your seller marks it a gift--which is illegal for them to do--you could find the post office charges you the full duty rate as they know it's not a gift.
haslet

Return to Taxes