Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Student Debt in the Headlines

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

I recieved a letter from the IRS saying they owed me money?

Taxes! We hate paying them, so let's discuss maximizing tax deductions!

Postby laibrook48 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:52 pm

It's letter number is : LTR 707C

At the top of the letter it states "Your account shows an overpayment of (X amount of money.) You will receive a refund in four to eight weeks unless you owe other taxes or legal debts we are required to collect..."

The letter says it is for the 2010 tax period. I'm not exactly what this is for, but I did call the IRS and (after 45 minutes of waiting) found out that I DO have a credit on my account and no balances. Has anyone else received this letter? Will I really be given a refund for the X amount of dollars they indicated? I've never heard of this before.
laibrook48

Postby job47 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:59 pm

It's letter number is : LTR 707C

At the top of the letter it states "Your account shows an overpayment of (X amount of money.) You will receive a refund in four to eight weeks unless you owe other taxes or legal debts we are required to collect..."

The letter says it is for the 2010 tax period. I'm not exactly what this is for, but I did call the IRS and (after 45 minutes of waiting) found out that I DO have a credit on my account and no balances. Has anyone else received this letter? Will I really be given a refund for the X amount of dollars they indicated? I've never heard of this before.
U.S. long-term resident (LTR)

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8854.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8854/ch01.html

And of course the IRS will be the only place where you should be able to get the CORRECT answer that you need and want BUT you will have to make sure that you follow all of tnecessary and fill out and file all of the required necesary tax forms for this purpose

Purpose of Form

Expatriation tax provisions apply to U.S. citizens who have relinquished their citizenship and long-term residents who have ended their residency (expatriated). Form 8854 is used by individuals who have expatriated on or after June 4, 2004.

The date on which you are considered to have expatriated determines which Parts of the form you must complete. You are considered to have expatriated on the date you relinquished your citizenship (in the case of a former citizen) or terminated your long-term residency status (in the case of a former U.S. resident). If you expatriated after June 3, 2004, and before June 17, 2008, complete Parts I, II, and V. If you expatriated after June 16, 2008, and before January 1, 2011, complete Parts I and III. If you expatriated in 2011, complete Parts I, IV, and V.
Expatriation. Expatriation includes the acts of relinquishing U.S. citizenship and terminating long-term residency.
Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 04/19/2012
job47

Postby dustan35 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:02 pm

Just send the check to me and you won't have to worry about it.
dustan35

Postby emmanuele » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:09 pm

you should have another letter of explanation by the time you get the money
emmanuele

Return to Taxes