Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: John Oliver Talks About Student Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

I've worked ...but never filed taxes?

Taxes! We hate paying them, so let's discuss maximizing tax deductions!

Postby vychan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:45 am

I have worked 4 different paying jobs since 2009 but I have never filed taxes (I'm only 21). I know that money has been taken out of each of my paychecks... When it comes time to file my taxes for 2013 what do I do? Will I be in trouble for never filing before? Will I get any money back? I'm trying to get my life in order and figure out things that were never explained to me...Thanks in advance for any and all help!
vychan

Postby federico » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:48 am

ONLY 21 does NOT have any thing as age is NOT any of the requirements for this purpose and time in your life. But learning experiences and about your tax filing requirements NOT really in trouble especially IF you did have some amounts withheld for federal income taxes and that amount was reported to you and to the SSA and the IRS for each tax year in the Box 2 of your W-2 forms for each tax year and IF you would have filled out and filed the 1040 income tax return CORRECTLY and signed it and sent it in for processing you MIGHT have been able to qualify for a REFUND of some or All of the withheld amount each tax year during that year tax filing season.
And for the 2009 tax year if that is the the case you can still fill out and file the 2009 1040 income tax return to claim any possible REFUND amount until April 15 2013 for this purpose and then also the 2010 and the 2011 also could be filled out and filed at this time in your life.
After the 3 year period for each tax year any possible REFUND amount that you might have been able to qualify for is gone lost and NO LONGER available for you to get it the amount just goes into the general fund for the FMS to use for this purpose and time in your life.
NOW if you did have any FIT liability amounts owed for the past tax year you probably should have received some notice from the IRS about this matter already BUT this is an unknown at this time so when you do get around to correctly completing and signing your 2012 1040 income tax return during the 2013 tax filing season and print you a copy for your records in case you would need it in the future and then send the signed copy on to the correct IRS address for processing at that time n your life.
And IF you are due a REFUND at that time on the 2012 1040 income tax return and IF you do owe any past due taxes and penalties and interest on the past due amounts then at that time during the 2013 tax filing season the FMS and the IRS will probably REDUCE your anticipated REFUND amount by any past due amounts at that time in your life before they would issue out to you any of the REFUND at that time and for that purpose. Good luck to you.
NOW if you want to fill out and file the past years 1040 income tax returns at this time and sign them and you will have to mail them to the CORRECT IRS address for processing with each tax year in a separate envelope and on the out side left under your return address write the 1040 tax form number and the tax year that in inside of each separate envelope for the IRS to process at this time in your life. Good luck to you.
Use the search box at the www.irs,gov website for Forms and Publications
Welcome to the official source of IRS tax forms and publications. The links below provide methods to access and acquire both electronic and print media. Additionally, the Search function above provides basic and advanced search capabilities for forms and other published materials available on IRS.gov.
Previous Years 1040

http://www.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/priorFormPublication.html?value=1040&criteria=formNumber&submitSearch=Find

Copy and paste the above enclosed website address into your browser address bar to find the 1040 tax forms and instruction for the years that you would want to start with for your situation and time in your life.
Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 09/16/2012
federico

Postby darrold » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:50 am

ONLY 21 does NOT have any thing as age is NOT any of the requirements for this purpose and time in your life. But learning experiences and about your tax filing requirements NOT really in trouble especially IF you did have some amounts withheld for federal income taxes and that amount was reported to you and to the SSA and the IRS for each tax year in the Box 2 of your W-2 forms for each tax year and IF you would have filled out and filed the 1040 income tax return CORRECTLY and signed it and sent it in for processing you MIGHT have been able to qualify for a REFUND of some or All of the withheld amount each tax year during that year tax filing season.
And for the 2009 tax year if that is the the case you can still fill out and file the 2009 1040 income tax return to claim any possible REFUND amount until April 15 2013 for this purpose and then also the 2010 and the 2011 also could be filled out and filed at this time in your life.
After the 3 year period for each tax year any possible REFUND amount that you might have been able to qualify for is gone lost and NO LONGER available for you to get it the amount just goes into the general fund for the FMS to use for this purpose and time in your life.
NOW if you did have any FIT liability amounts owed for the past tax year you probably should have received some notice from the IRS about this matter already BUT this is an unknown at this time so when you do get around to correctly completing and signing your 2012 1040 income tax return during the 2013 tax filing season and print you a copy for your records in case you would need it in the future and then send the signed copy on to the correct IRS address for processing at that time n your life.
And IF you are due a REFUND at that time on the 2012 1040 income tax return and IF you do owe any past due taxes and penalties and interest on the past due amounts then at that time during the 2013 tax filing season the FMS and the IRS will probably REDUCE your anticipated REFUND amount by any past due amounts at that time in your life before they would issue out to you any of the REFUND at that time and for that purpose. Good luck to you.
NOW if you want to fill out and file the past years 1040 income tax returns at this time and sign them and you will have to mail them to the CORRECT IRS address for processing with each tax year in a separate envelope and on the out side left under your return address write the 1040 tax form number and the tax year that in inside of each separate envelope for the IRS to process at this time in your life. Good luck to you.
Use the search box at the www.irs,gov website for Forms and Publications
Welcome to the official source of IRS tax forms and publications. The links below provide methods to access and acquire both electronic and print media. Additionally, the Search function above provides basic and advanced search capabilities for forms and other published materials available on IRS.gov.
Previous Years 1040

http://www.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/priorFormPublication.html?value=1040&criteria=formNumber&submitSearch=Find

Copy and paste the above enclosed website address into your browser address bar to find the 1040 tax forms and instruction for the years that you would want to start with for your situation and time in your life.
Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 09/16/2012
If taxes were taken out, then the info was reported to the IRS. If they didn't notify, you apparently didn't owe any more. And you probably had refunds coming, which you can still get if you file for those years now. When you file in 2013 for 2012, no you won't be in any trouble, and if you have a refund coming fof 2012, you'll get it..
darrold

Postby cillan76 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:55 am

You're an adult, so ACT like one
This is a start, educating yourself
Age has NOTHING to do with your LEGAL obligation to file a tax return, it's INCOME
Find out WHETHER you were required to file in each of those years: Depends on your income and filing status., whether dependent or not
You can file returns for 3 years and still get any refunds due you
You can still efile for 2011 if you do so this month, but prior years must be paper returns
Even when NOT required to file, it may be smart to do so, as you may be entitled to a refund of some or all of the withholding
Starting in 2011, there was a penalty for failure to file (when required to do so) even when a refund is due; there has always been a penalty and interest for failing to pay tax when due
Assuming you worked part-time while going to school and earned less than $5K, it is unlikely you owe any tax, and quite likely you may be entitled to refunds
cillan76

Postby vychan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:00 am

If you have never filed but have received W2 forms from your employers, it is likely that you were owed refunds, which you will not get unless you file.

The next taxes due are for 2012. Will you owe or be owed? No way to know without any info.
vychan

Postby bornani » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:01 am

Each year stands on it own. You are probably leaving money on the table by not fileing returns for previous years. You can still download forms and file the back returns.
bornani

Postby aldwin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:05 am

If you were due a refund, then nothing happens. If you were due a refund and never filed, you are letting the government keep your money.
aldwin

Postby santino » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:13 am

If you were due a refund, then nothing happens. If you were due a refund and never filed, you are letting the government keep your money.
You will be able to file your in 2012 in 2013, no problems. As far as getting money back: important: you only have a limited time to act

You are really only hurting yourself.

You were probably due a refund for all those years. And in order to claim a refund, you must file your income tax return. And you must claim your refund no later than 3 years after the taxes were originally due or 2 years from when the tax was paid.

So your 2009 return was due April 15, 2010 (assuming no extension filed). that means you have until April 15, 2013 to file your 2009 return to get your refund.

Also what may happen is that the IRS files a "Substitute for Return" for you. when they do this, they do you no favors. So even if you prepared a return that would show a refund, when the IRS prepare a return for you, you may end up owing a balance. Off course, you can correct this by filing returns.

Just because the IRS hasn't filed a return for you in the last 3 years doesn't mean they won't. If you don't' file a tax return the IRS has forever to file one for you (the 3 and 6 year rules do not apply i no tax return is filed).

So bottom line:

You will be fine and you are still entitled to receive any refunds you would have coming as long as you file your 2009-2011 refunds promptly.
santino

Return to Taxes