Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: John Oliver Talks About Student Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

If Mit Romney gets elected does he take the oath of office on the Book Of Mormon or the Bilbe?

Taxes! We hate paying them, so let's discuss maximizing tax deductions!

If Mit Romney gets elected does he take the oath of office on the Book Of Mormon or the Bilbe?

Postby job47 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:02 pm

I know its "tradition" to swear in on the Bible but Romney doesnt seem to follow tradition. eg- not releasing his tax return. Hes a Mormon and we hve religous freedom in this country so what happens?
job47

Postby redley » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:08 pm

a "Corrected" King James Translation -- Joseph Smith, Jr. after all did "corrections on the translation"

see PEARL OF GREAT PRICE
redley

Postby ismael » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:12 pm

Actually if Romney gets the election, he will automatically be the President at 12:00 pm on Jan 20, whether there is a public ceremony or not. The ceremony is just for the public to see the new President. This was explained in the 2008 ceremony when the man giving Obama the oath goofed, there was really no need for a second swearing in, it was just done because of tradition.

So, Romney could use anything he wanted for that ceremony, but most likely it would be a copy of the KJV Bible, since that is the official Bible of the Church. I personally like Noah's suggestion, it would be nice if Romney were to go against tradition and swear in on a copy of the Constitution.
ismael

Postby phinehas » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:21 pm

Mitt Romney is likely to use the same Bible he used, when sworn in as governor of Massachusetts. That was the same Bible used by his father, George Romney, when sworn in as governor of Michigan. Btw, the president is required by the Constitution to take the oath. He does not automatically become president.
phinehas

Postby harlak » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:25 pm

He sworn in on the book of Mormon as the 70th Governor of Massachusetts. So why wouldn't he swear in using the Book Of Mormon when he takes the oath to become President of the United States?

To the people who say Mormon's are Christians it is like saying Christians are Jewish. Because the Book of Mormon is to the Christian Bible as the Christian Bible is to the Hebrew Bible. the only difference is that Joseph Smith made up the Book of Mormon and both the Christian Bible and Hebrew Bible's are historic truth.

Virgil Goode 2012.
harlak

Postby hayes51 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:32 pm

Barack Obama used the same Bible that Abraham Lincoln used when he was sworn in. Lincoln did not use a family Bible because that was packed in with the household belongings and en route from Springfield to Washington. So for the swearing in, Lincoln sent an assistant to buy a Bible for the ceremony.
The book used in the ceremony is not mentioned in the Constitution. It just specifies the oath. The book used is up to the person being sworn in. Most times, family Bibles are used. Richard Nixon used 2 family Bibles.
I don't know why people keep saying that Obama is not a Christian. Every time he is asked that question, that is his answer. Instead believe the word of anybody else on what his religion is. I am taking him at his word.
hayes51

Postby burney » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:46 pm

The Constitution doesn't require a Bible or any other document, and the words, 'So help me God' are not included in the oath of office. ( Art.2 Sec. 1 last paragraph.) For my money I believe that a copy of the Constitution should be used for the oath. I'm open on the ceremonial use of the, 'So help me God' bit, but I wish people would at least try to understand that the founders left both the Bible AND the reference to 'God' out of the oath on purpose as they purposely created a secular state that included all religions or no religion. I doubt if that message will ever get though to the US population, though I have hope.....of course I have hope that my Chicago Cubs will win the World Series so you can't go by me!
burney

Postby baynebridge53 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Not paying taxes is the same as robbing the government, and in the bible that is not allowed. We are to pay our taxes. So ... he is not a man who should be in office, if he stole from the US treasury while out of office , just image the damage he will do if he gets elected.
baynebridge53

Postby knox » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:01 pm

What happens is that he uses a Bible, Mormons believe in that book and Mormons stand by this tradition.

How many times do the same answers to the same questions have to be given in this forum before the value of Yahoo answers is diminished?
knox

Postby ruprecht » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:07 pm

What happens is that he uses a Bible, Mormons believe in that book and Mormons stand by this tradition.

How many times do the same answers to the same questions have to be given in this forum before the value of Yahoo answers is diminished?
The Bible, of course. But FDR, Jimmy Carter, and Barack Hussein Obama sin Laden all swore on the Bible, too -- didn't seem to take.
ruprecht

Next

Return to Taxes