Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: John Oliver Talks About Student Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Is $30/hour good to live in Los Angeles?

Discuss any ideas for budgeting and planning your finances

Postby teiji » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:14 pm

I'm about to graduate from nursing school and I have been reading that average starting salary for RN is $30/hour. I don't have any children so will $30/hour working full time be pretty good?? I have never actually been on my own because i've been in school so as bad as it sounds, I don't really know what to expect as far as budgets go. Your answers and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Also my goal is to just get a cute 1 bedroom, 1 bath apartment in L.A. I already have a car so that won't be an expensive for now.

Will I be doing ok? And will I be considered lower middle class making only $30/hour???

Thank You so much in advance
teiji

Postby everitt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:17 pm

hope you lucky with that
everitt

Postby macario » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:19 pm

you can live pretty good on that here i know some rns and they make more than that even though its expensive here just budget good good luck
macario

Postby crespin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:31 pm

Good luck finding a job to pay that well in that market.
crespin

Postby newyddilyn17 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:37 pm

You know, it seems like I spend a lot of my time here teaching basic math skills. In most cases, kids out of high school are on the "bad" side of the math equation. However, I have good news: You should have NO problem affording a place. With a little discipline, you could even BUY a place to live.

I normally tell people they need about $35000 per year to live here. If you do the math, $30 per hour is about $62,000 per year, and that's not even counting overtime.

There are no "money" guidelines to class, really. It's more about what you do. As a nurse, you'll definitely be middle middle class. It's more about values, rather than a set dollar amount. If you want to own your own home, and want to save for retirement, you're middle class. Having graduated nursing school puts you solidly in middle class.

Save as much as you can, so that you can by a lower-end condo and start building equity. Equity is when your home is worth more than you owe on it. Too many people have negative equity right now, which means they owe more than the home is worth.

Good luck
newyddilyn17

Postby ascott87 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:39 pm

At $30 an hour, probably lower middle class, you wouldn't be able to live the middle class life that most envision, 2000 sq ft house in a nice LA neighborhood with good schools, decent car, vacation once a year, some money to go to retirement and savings, etc. That takes about $175,000 and up, much more on the Westside. However, as a single person earning $30 an hour, you'd be able to rent a nice apartment in a nice area ($1500 to $2000 nice, not luxury, one bedroom, depending on area), or buy a small condo (but probably not on the Westside). You'd have to watch your budget, but you should be able to put away money for a down payment, and emergencies.

The problem is going to be finding a job, it's very tough for new nurses in LA to find a job, and most employers that pay well seem to strongly prefer BSNs. Have you spoken to other nurses right out of school about looking for a job here? Look for some of the online nursing communities for info.

Once you have 2 to 3 years of experience, look at hospitals like UCLA, which pays well, the per diem pay is $55 an hour, career positions (clinical II and III) range from about $35 to $60, 12 hour shifts, BSN preferred (basically required because they get so many applications).

Good luck!
ascott87

Postby ismael » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Well you seem to be in good shape. However if you are planning to work at UCLA medical center that is in Westwood and Westwood is not cheap. I live in Anaheim Huntington beach area and I think it is the best place in the area however it is 40 minutes and with traffic it will take way over a hour.

Culver City you can find a fair price if you look if look and is real close to UCLA medical center.

I need to know what place your working for better direction.
ismael

Postby saber82 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:55 pm

are you kidding? you're soooo lucky! I'M a college graduate and all the job interviews i went to paid $9 an hour!
wow, i know i would definitely be able to live off of that in la. even my fav sections of la. you're so lucky; i'm jealous. how does an english major find a job in LA over $11 an hour?
saber82

Return to Budgeting