This should help you to understand how credit scores work..
FICO scores from 300 to 850 and Vantage Plus scores from 501 to 990.
Here is the breakdown for both systems.
Vantage Plus system scores from 501-990.
FICO system scores from 300-850.
FICO is the only one that matters since it's the one that all major lenders look at.
So as you can see it depends on if your looking at a true FICO score or a Vantage plus score.
As far as what makes up credit scores it's the following;
1. Payment history (longer the better) 35%
2. Time in bureau (longer the better) 15%
3. Types of credit (mix of credit cards & installment loans) 10%
4. New credit (new accounts and inquiries) 10%
5. Debt to credit ratio (lower the better) 30%
So as you can see credit scores are the result of opening and paying lines of credit.
The benefits are many including getting the best interest rate weather it's for a vehicle loan, home loan or credit card.
So to answer your question, as long as they are real FICO scores they are above average.