Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: The Worst Kinds of Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Is A Judgment For Unpaid Rent The Same As An Eviction?

Is your credit score looking bad? Tips on how to improve it.

Postby felicio » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:53 pm

Last year, I lost my apartment due to my job loss. My landlord was sweet about it, but she still had a job to do and had to file eviction papers against me. I went to court and was given a judgment for the unpaid rent - $2100. The landlord's lawyer told me, though, that a judgment was not the same as an actual eviction. He said that an actual eviction is when the sheriff locks you out of your apartment and if I left my apartment - breaking my lease, essentially - before that happened, that this would only appear on my credit report as being a financial judgment. So I did that - I broke my lease about a week before the sheriff would have shown up. The judgment has been handed over to a collection agency and I'm working out a monthly plan to pay this off. What I'm wondering is how this will show up when a new landlord pulls my credit report. I recently looked at my annual free report and didn't see it on there (or anything about eviction).

So my question is, is the monetary judgment really different from an actual eviction? Does having eviction papers filed against you mean anything if the sheriff didn't lock you out?

Also, is there another kind of report other than a credit report that a landlord pulls on you that shows anything about former rental problems?
felicio

Postby blayr » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Basically what you have done is move out voluntarily before you were forcibly removed by a sheriff. You were still evicted. If the landlord received judgement in her favour then she still would have received a lawful eviction order that would allow her to hire a sheriff to remove you forcibly.

Not being from the states I do not know how this would play out on your credit report but I do know that when you apply for new accommodations the landlord will routinely want to contact your previous landlord and ask you and the previous landlord whether or not you have ever been evicted.

"Also, is there another kind of report other than a credit report that a landlord pulls on you that shows anything about former rental problems?"

Yes, from what I understand there are agencies that landlords may contact to find out information about past tenants regarding evictions, settlements etc. If your landlord has information filed with such agencies it would be available for other landlords to see.
blayr

Return to Credit Reports and Credit Scores