Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Student Debt in the Headlines

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Is your SSI or SSDI enough to live on?

Taxes! We hate paying them, so let's discuss maximizing tax deductions!

Postby ronell » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:52 am

If not, what is your main challenge?
ronell

Postby beartlaidh » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:55 am

If not, what is your main challenge?
I have 100 SSI individuals on my caseload.
SSI is for individuals who have never paid payroll taxes, therefore welfare, a gift form the taxpayers.

At age 65 an individual who never paid payroll taxes, who was never considered disabled, who has resources less than $2000 (home and vehicle excluded), can receive $698 SSI.

Those who had no income before age 65 would surely think $698 is a lot of money.
Plus they receive full Medicaid, and pay nothing for the Medicare they receive.
Most receive food stamps, many receive energy and housing assistance.
For the most part they live as well or better than those living on average SS - about $1300 per month - and those people worked a lifetime to receive what they earned.

Since SSI individuals have Medicaid, they have no medical expences.
They need things like a car, nicer place to live, better phone, TV, computer.

Of my caseload of 400 families, many have no income except food stamps - dozens of them.
They are waiting for SSI, have applied, may have to wait 45 more years, when they turn 65.
They think $698 is a lot of money.

SSDI, different story. Most of them do not qualify for Medicaid - income too high.
They do not qualify for Medicare until they receive SSDI for 2 years.
Even then, Medicare does not pay all medical expences.
A main challenge for them is paying medical expences.

I have many families of 3+ persons, all living off the SSI of one child, and everything they receive from social services.
(Per the SSA reference below - SSI and children - "On average, SSI payments accounted for nearly 48 percent of the family income of SSI children,")
For all families with SSI children, SSI is nearly half of ALL income.

~ ~ ~
SSI – Supplimental security Income – not social security -for people who didn't work –
$50 Billion a year.
(see page 62 of the report)
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/ssir/SSI11/ssi2011.pdf

2.6% of the population is on SSI, most never worked a day, one out of every 38 persons.
http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=254&cat=4

See SSI for your county and state:
http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/statcomps/ssi_sc/

SSI disability trends - high mental disability rate.
http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/chartbooks/disability_trends/sect04.html

SSI and children.
http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v66n2/v66n2p21.html

SSI annual report.
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/ssir/SSI11/index.html

Medicaid ( not medicare) spending 2010 - $389 Billion:
http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=177&cat=4

~ ~
Many people confuse SSI and SSDI. That is unfortunate.
I have been told many times, that those who receive SSI are just as deserving as those who receive SSDI.
I disagree.
beartlaidh

Postby squire » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:14 am

The maximum SSI benefit is $698; it will be $710 in 2013. That is the amount payable only if the person has no other source of income; if they have other income then their SSI is reduced. People on SSI have Medicaid and food stamps. That's about it. They might, if they're lucky, live in Section 8 housing. Otherwise they would probably have to have a roommate to help meet expenses. Most people on SSI probably don't have cars and must rely on a good bus system for transportation or the generosity of others in carting them around. People do live on SSI but can afford nothing but the bare necessities of life - which is what SSI is meant for since it is the federal welfare program. Benefits are not paid to dependent spouses or children.

As for SSDI it is probably enough for most people since, unlike SSI, SSDI doesn't count income (except for worker's comp) and resources against a person. The average social security benefit is $1300 a month now and the maximum monthly benefit is $2500 - it is based upon what the person paid into the program when working. A person on SSDI could have a spouse earning $50,000 or $100,000 a year and it doesn't matter. Most people who receive social security benefits usually have other sources of income. Also, unlike SSI, benefits are also paid to children and can also be paid to spouses under certain conditions.

NOTE: Tonight I broke off part of a tooth and it will need capping. I am trying to figure out how I am going to be able to pay for it without going into debt because my dental insurance has already paid for two caps already this year which is the limit. This has NOT been a good year for my teeth; I was really hoping they would last as long as I do. My dentist doesn't accept a payment plan and given how much of a toothache I have it isn't going to wait until January.
squire

Postby mael » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:20 am

not really--even with SSDI...

the average SSDi is about 1200 I think...the max is about 2100...

my monthly expenses in a small run down condo is about 2000...excluding extras like car repairs and eventually a new car...

mortgage = 700
maintenance fee (including heat/hot water, etc) =300
utiltities (including cable and internet on a discount plan) =300
car insurance = 125
medicare =125

food, gas, misc expense = 450

cable/internet is my main source of recreation as I can't get out of the house much...plus i use my computer/smart phone to earn a little extra money...so those costs pay for themselves

i currently need about $2000 in car repairs that I have delayed as long as I can....i need home repairs that are not an option...
mael

Postby annawon18 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:26 am

not really--even with SSDI...

the average SSDi is about 1200 I think...the max is about 2100...

my monthly expenses in a small run down condo is about 2000...excluding extras like car repairs and eventually a new car...

mortgage = 700
maintenance fee (including heat/hot water, etc) =300
utiltities (including cable and internet on a discount plan) =300
car insurance = 125
medicare =125

food, gas, misc expense = 450

cable/internet is my main source of recreation as I can't get out of the house much...plus i use my computer/smart phone to earn a little extra money...so those costs pay for themselves

i currently need about $2000 in car repairs that I have delayed as long as I can....i need home repairs that are not an option...
One of my old friends was on SSI. She raised a daughter with the small income she had. It's possible. It's just extremely hard.

My hubby and I are on SSDI. It's enough to live in, if absolutely nothing goes wrong. Something always goes wrong. lol

My main challenge is to find a way to fix desperately needed stuff for our house. We have windows that are ready to fall out at any moment. We have large cracks - chasms - in our sidewalk. I keep trying to save money to fix these things. The money keeps going for other stuff like a leaky roof, a hot water heater that died, and a car that kept dying on us every 11 months, because service garages wouldn't accept the fact it can't always be a bad battery. Sometimes it's the starter.
annawon18

Postby crespin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:28 am

SSI is not enough for anyone to live on well, so if you are on it you have to prioritize and live within your means. SSI alone is less than enough to maintain a poverty life-style.
crespin

Postby macario » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:40 am

My family of four lived off my SSDI for two years. But we have lived frugally all our lives so I know how to stretch a dollar. I also use coupons extensively. You don't miss what you never had!
macario

Return to Taxes