Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Student Debt in the Headlines

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Maxed out in federal loans, what to do next when your cosigner has bad credit?

Discuss strategies for dealing with Student Loans

Postby mil » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:50 am

Hello,

I am currently transferring to a new school which is more expensive than the one I was attending, I didnt think I would end up in this financial downfall, but I am and hopefully in the end it will be worth it because I am changing schools for many reasons.. anywho I have already maxed out of my federal loans.. my mom was denied the parent plus loan so they gave me the extra federal loan money already. So now I need a parent loan, however.. my family was denied the sallie mae loan as well as the wells fargo student loan. I am not sure what step to take next because I really need money to help fund the rest of my college education. I have been working and my family can help pay, but Im going to need to take out at least $5,000. I ultimately need around $16,000.. can you guys offer any advice for me? . . I do not have anyone else to co sign because my mom has also ruined my grandmothers credit :/ ..and sense im 19 I do not have any credit at all, I tried to do the sallie mae loan on my own and it denied me, which makes sense.. but I am not really sure what steps I should now take.
mil

Postby walby93 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:00 am

You are already up to your nose in debt. Are you sure you want more debt?

Student loans are a wonderful thing if it helps you get an education. You are in over-your-head when you have maxed out the loan & it still isn't enough. Odds are good you won't get any more in time for this semester. You knew the risks associated with a transfer. Money was certainly a factor in it. A job while attending school is your best option, even if it means going part time to finish or consider putting it off for a semester while you work full time. That doesn't change your plan, it helps ensure it will happen.
walby93

Postby harlow » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:09 am

I don't know the reasons for transferring to a more expensive school, but it is pretty obvious that you cannot afford that more expensive school. Maybe you need to take a closer look at what school you attend.

Maybe you need to take fewer classes and get a full time job.
harlow

Postby duncan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:14 am

16000 is a full time job that u will get and
work around school.

suggest u look at real schools instate to
save u decades of debt slavery.

long run where u go to school matters little.
duncan

Postby sun » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:15 am

NO undergraduate college is worth going into debt you will not get any more pay just because your school cost more
sun

Return to Student Loans