Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Marrying Into Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

My friend found someone's credit card and used it?

Credit Card Debt discussions & tips

Postby syd » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:45 pm

He was at the mall and found a red visa in the parking lot. I jokingly told him to go on a spending spree but he actually did. he bought a pair of $200 of headphones (beats by dre), a new Macbook pro, a pair of jordan's and a lifeproof case for iphone 5.

He ordered them all online and to his house.

Is he going to get arrested? he has good grades in school and he is planning to to college. is there a way for him NOT to get caught? please help i've known him since i was 8 and im 17 and he is 18
syd

Postby nic » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Legally, he's an adult in almost all cases (he can't drink alcohol yet). So he's committed a crime as an adult, and this is actually a pretty serious crime. There is absolutely no way that he can convince a judge or anyone else that he thought it was going to be OK to use someone else's credit card, unless he's mentally incompetent. He might get good grades, but he's pretty stupid.

He's going to get caught. He practically signed his name to the crime when he gave his address. He can still go to college, but he won't get hired for a lot of jobs. If the job involves money handling at all, from being a cashier to being a CFO, he has basically forfeited any chance to get such a job. If the job involves any sort of responsibility, he won't get it. He will probably need to rethink his college major, because now there are few jobs that pay good money that will hire him, so he might spend a lot of money on a college degree and be unable to find a job in that field.

And the irony is that he threw away his future for things that are very, very temporary, they will only be useful for a few years.
nic

Postby niyol » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:06 pm

Tell your friend to cancel the orders !

NOW he is an idiot IF your gonna door don't leave a trail to your house sorry but he isn't college material .

CANCEL the orders get him to turn himself in!

There is no way to get caught but there's damage control cancel the orders get refunds go to the police dept turn himself in.

Judges may see that part as good .

If he doesn't do damage control he is gonna regret it , this one mistake may lead to other mistakes that will ruin his life.
niyol

Postby abramo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:09 pm

He can get arrested. What he did was commit theft, and from the item listed, it will be a felony. If one finds property, especially a credit card, they are supposed to turn it in or at least take every effort to locate the owner and return it. Since he had the items sent to his address, he just made it very easy for the cops to locate him.
abramo

Postby pyn76 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Well if he made an online transaction using his address and the card is reported stolen, he can probably expect a visit from the cops. In federal law, credit card fraud is a felony and carries with it a sentence of 15 to 30 years, depending on the extent of the crime. In Wisconsin, most forms of credit card fraud are also considered a felony. A Class H felony of credit card fraud in Wisconsin carries a penalty of up to six years in state prison and a $10,000 fine. This is notwithstanding any federal charges that may apply. Other forms of financial card fraud are deemed lesser offenses in Wisconsin, and are classified as a misdemeanor. A misdemeanor carries a penalty of nine months in jail and a $10,000 fine.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/about_6538856_penalty-credit-card-fraud-wisconsin.html#ixzz2YJxaEoNw
pyn76

Postby reizo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Thats actually a felony I believe (I think, I could be wrong), which means your entire career for working could be affected the rest of your life.
reizo

Postby laurens » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:26 pm

He committed fraud. And every purchase on that card can now be traced right to his house.

He's an idiot. And I hope he gets caught.
laurens

Postby nye » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:34 pm

He used it and had all that sent to his house? He's gonna be in as much trouble as he is stupid. Which is a lot.
nye

Return to Credit Card Debt