Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Student Debt in the Headlines

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Parents going through bankruptcy; on FAFSA, will I get more money as a dependent or independent student?

Talk about declaring bankruptcy, the issues involved and it's suitability to your financial problems

Parents going through bankruptcy; on FAFSA, will I get more money as a dependent or independent student?

Postby redley » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm a college senior and in the past I've always listed myself as a dependent student. My parents are going through bankruptcy, and I'm worried that if I list their information on FAFSA, it will hurt my chances of getting aid. Since I'll be entering graduate school next year, for the first time I have the option to list myself as an independent student. Independent student or dependent--which would be the better option?
redley

Postby job47 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:39 pm

schools.medianewsonline.com - it has detailed info how to apply for financial aid and scholarships to get more cash.
job47

Postby bayerd4 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:40 pm

You do not get to decide this question. If you are going to graduate school you are automatically considered an independent student. Entering your parents' information is optional and only really matters if you're going into a medical field where you can get a health professions loan.
Keep in mind that all grant money such as the pell grant are not available to graduate students at all. You will be offered student loans and trying to analyze the FAFSA won't change that.
bayerd4

Postby matthieu46 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Independents get more.

I'm a college freshman and I'm an independent, and because I was independent I got an extra $2000 in loans for this year.
matthieu46

Postby federico » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:49 pm

i think you get more money if you add your family and fafsa pays you more if you are a full time student.
federico

Return to Bankruptcy