Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: The Worst Kinds of Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Parents taking credit in child's name?

Credit Card Debt discussions & tips

Postby newyddilyn17 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:45 pm

I have today had a letter fall on my doorstep from a debt recovery company for £1759.90! i have discovered that it has come from a catalogue my own parents took out in my name back in 2008! obviously they haven't been paying the bill! i have 2 small children a lovely partner and a bright future...what do i do? i can not pay it...nor do i think i should. i have always been extremely close to my parents but now alot of things have come to light and i feel i am subject to emotional blackmail. my parent can not afford to pay the bill neither work and often are sat in the dark as they can not afford electricity. i work full time in a bank and my partner is self employed, we work hard for what we have. i need some advise.... what the hell do i do? massive shock and heartbreaking that they would do this to me!
newyddilyn17

Postby aitan19 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:46 pm

You have a simple choice - pay, or report your parents for fraud and have them prosecuted.
aitan19

Postby everitt » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:53 pm

If you can't pay and don't think you should, then don't pay. You need to let the debt collection company know that the debt has nothing to do with you - then let your parents sort it out.
everitt

Postby chisulo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Ok. There are two separate issues here. First, your parents financial state and secondly the debt they have run up in your name.

Let's deal with the debt first. You have two options. Either report your parents for identity theft and fraudulently taking out the credit in your name, or accept the debt and pay it. If you chose to report them it will be *your* job to prove it wasn't you who took out the credit. The penalties for this sort of thing can be very severe including huge fines and jail time. If you chose to pay the debt off then speak with the debt collection agency. They will set up a payment plan with you so you can pay it back slowly. Thank hard about which of these options sounds better to you, because if you can't get your parents to pay for it (which i think they should but they don't seem to be in a position to) then they are your only choices.

Secondly is your parents situation. Are you willing to help them get their lives in order? If so, there are things you can do. First, speak with their various creditors, explain the situation and work out payment plans that will be more affordable. Then write out a budget for them. Regarding the electricity, (i got my start in the gas & electric business for one of the UK "Big six" suppliers in their debt collection & warrants departments) call and ask what help they offer for vulnerable customers. There's fuel direct which means the cost of the bill will be taken directly from your parents benefits (which i presume they get as they don't work) so they will always have fuel. If they currently have a prepay meter ask for it to be taken back out and fuel direct applied for due to risk of "self disconnection". There may even be specific teams who can offer additional help/grants/etc.

Go to the CAB and ensure your parents are getting all of the benefits they are entitled to and also to get advice regarding the debts if you need to.

Ultimately though, your parents must be willing to change, if they refuse to sort things out, or make noises about wanting to but don't change then you can't make them. thank long and hard about your relationship with them and make absolutely sure they don't have access to any of your documents etc so they can't do this to you again.
chisulo

Postby ashishishe27 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:11 pm

This is a Police matter as they have committed fraud
To apply for catalogue items, they have to give personal details, date of birth and off course
forge your signature
So if your parents refuse to pay this debt, you have decide whether you report it to the police or not
the catalogue company/debt recovery company will only take you seriously if you have a crime reference number and you'll get that when you report it to the Police
How a parent could ever stoop so low, is beyond me. I could never do that to my adult sons
Your parents must have some sort of income, maybe from benefits, or pensions, so how they choose to spend it and waste is irresponsible when they are adults
ashishishe27

Postby cas » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Your parents have committed fraud. Do not ignore the letter or you will be on the hook for the charges. Start by sending a return letter explaining the the charges were fraudulently put in your name. No need (at this point) to let them know that you know who committed the fraud. then i would confront your parents.
Since your name is on the account at the catalog, you can call in and have the account closed.
cas

Postby tedric68 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:34 pm

Stepchange...google them and get some free, online advice, which will be confidential...this could ruin your career so act soon.
Possibly, report this to the police, but talk to an advisor at stepchange first.
tedric68

Return to Credit Card Debt