Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: John Oliver Talks About Student Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Renting a room off of Craigslist?

Share tips for saving money and making the most of your income

Postby stiles » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:42 pm

Is this too sketchy? I'm trying to move out to Los Angeles and I realized that a nice way to save money until I get a little more on my feet would be to rent a room instead of my own place. Is this a good idea even and if so is it a bad idea to do off of craigslist? What other website? A lot of the places are a lot cheaper than renting a whole unit obviously and frequently you can avoid the security deposit. Is this a good idea or should I just splurge on my own place?
stiles

Postby cruim » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:53 pm

Many people rent a room when they are young. The problems are obvious: lack of privacy; not enuf room in the refrigerator; lack of adequate parking. But the cost of a studio apartment in the safe parts of LA is $1,000. Very small..... 400 sq ft. You can rent a room in LA for $500.

The LA area has 8 great websites for finding rentals; but only Craigslist has the roommate offerings. In some apartment complexes, the bulletin board next to the mailbox will have rooms for rent. Don't forget to check out mobile home communities, too.
cruim

Postby inteus » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:59 pm

I have done this many times. Just go there first And make sure it's legit
inteus

Return to Money Saving Tips