Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Student Debt in the Headlines

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Someone claimed me a dependent without my knowledge: Will I still get my tax return?

Taxes! We hate paying them, so let's discuss maximizing tax deductions!

Someone claimed me a dependent without my knowledge: Will I still get my tax return?

Postby akecheta » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:08 pm

I e-filed with Turbo Tax and my return was rejected by the IRS because someone claimed me. No one has a right to claim me, but I was 17 providing for myself throughout 2012. A family member let me stay with them rent-free for a few months last year and I believe this is who claimed me. I paid for everything I needed by myself last year, including my cloths, food, insurance, car gas, etc. I feel that this family member has no right to claim me.

I read online that I can still send in my return by mail, but will I still get my refund?
If not, how can I fix this?
Also, how do I print it from Turbo Tax in a legitimate, suitable format?
akecheta

Postby mersc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:17 pm

You will need to send your return in by mail. Attach a statement to the return explaining that you paid over 50% of your support. Check with this family to see if they did in fact claim you; they may truly believe that they provided more than 50% of your support. (They may think they provided lodging valued at $xxx per month, etc.) I don't know the working of Turbo tax, but you can always put the information on the IRS.gov "file for free" and hit "print", then mail it in. It doesn't sound like your family member had a right to claim you, and if you do this the IRS will penalize them.
mersc

Postby finnobarr » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:28 pm

BUT when 2 taxpayers do this then the IRS will end up making and notifying each taxpayer of what their final decision will be about who will be allowed to be able to meet all of the rules that they did have to meet in order to qualify to claim the child for that tax year. The return that would get REJECTED during the 2013 tax filing season would then have to mail a paper copy of the REJECTED return to the CORRECT IRS address for processing during the tax filing season for the IRS to get involved in this matter at that time and start the investigation of both taxpayers for this purpose and time in life.
Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 03/24/2013
finnobarr

Postby bryten » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:32 pm

The largest part of your support is housing. You didn't pay rent at all, so you didn't support yourself.

You appeared to have lived with mom and dad for more than 6 months. Legally they can claim you.
bryten

Postby athan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:35 pm

What is a few months, and what relationship is the family member?
athan

Return to Taxes