Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: John Oliver Talks About Student Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Someone stole my income tax money. pls help.?

Taxes! We hate paying them, so let's discuss maximizing tax deductions!

Postby salvino2 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:14 pm

I've been waiting for income tax return money and recently I just found out that someone stole my income tax check and cashed it out. They knew my ID but the signature were way off. I will notify this asap on monday. I was wondering how this usually gets solve and how long does it take?
salvino2

Postby walbridge » Tue May 01, 2012 1:15 pm

So someone stole your check from your mailbox?
This sounds like it could be a family member.
Talk to family before going any further, since this can of theft can land that family member in jail. They may want to give you the money if they know they will be criminally prosecuted.
walbridge

Postby franklynn » Tue May 01, 2012 1:21 pm

You can go to the online reporting section of www.irs.gov and report the stolen check or you can call the customer service number to track federal refund checks at 1-800-829-4477. Personal information such as social security number, filing status, refund amount and address will be requested

They can give you more of an idea of how long it would take to receive a replacement check
franklynn

Postby goraidh61 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:34 pm

you need to report this immediately to your bank, social security and the irs. someone has stolen your identity. it will get resolved and you'll eventually get your money but it may be sometime before that occurs. you need to immediately report this. watch your other financial accounts or immediately change the numbers of the accounts (YES< ALLOF THEM) they have your soc. sec. no. and will move quickly to wipe you out.
goraidh61

Postby urki » Tue May 01, 2012 1:46 pm

you need to report this immediately to your bank, social security and the irs. someone has stolen your identity. it will get resolved and you'll eventually get your money but it may be sometime before that occurs. you need to immediately report this. watch your other financial accounts or immediately change the numbers of the accounts (YES< ALLOF THEM) they have your soc. sec. no. and will move quickly to wipe you out.
It takes several months to sort out. Basically you will have to prove that it was not you who cashed the check.
urki

Return to Taxes