Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Student Debt in the Headlines

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Stolen Debit Card Information?

Credit Card Debt discussions & tips

Postby tuketu » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:09 am

Today I received an e-mail saying I had insufficient funds for a purchase. I haven't used my debit card since 11/19 at 711. I went online and checked my statements and it showed a purchase for history channel shop for $33.90. It said exactly: CHECK CRD PURCHASE 11/28 DA AETN SHOP DAI shop hist CA. Does the CA mean that it was done in California, or is that just where the history channel shop headquarters is? I live in Florida.

I've only had about $6 bucks in this account since 11/20 when I paid my car insurance. So, they basically chose to steal money from someone who didn't have it.

I decided to look at my mail (Wells Fargo) and I opened a letter saying that a request for a new debit card occurred a couple of weeks ago. I didn't make this request. I usually don't open my mail since I look at my account info on the Wells Fargo website. They hadn't mentioned this online (yes, I know I should have opened my mail). I called WF and told them, they canceled the transaction and I submitted a claim. I also said I would prosecute the person who did this (would that cost money?).

How would someone go about stealing my information like this? How does it work?
The funny thing is, on the view-able online transaction, it says the first few numbers and last few numbers of the card. It matches the card I have in my hand. So does that mean they didn't use the new one that was requested? I don't understand.

I made a purchase from history shop quite a while ago for my dad for Father's Day. Does that have any correlation? Or did someone locally steal my account number (like a waitress or a store)?

I never let anyone use my card and only I know my pin number (but you don't need a pin number online). Since it always asks for the expiration date and the 3-digit number on the back, does that mean someone physically saw my card and wrote it down? Or can you get this info online?

Thanks SO SO SO much for your help. Any help at all is appreciated. I don't understand how this happened at all.
tuketu

Postby niyol » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:11 am

Unfortunately Debit Cards can also be used as Credit Cards. When they are used as credit, there is no pin number required.
Someone got a hold of my debit card number 2 months ago and charged around $50. Fortunately I caught it before they could charge more.
If you haven't already, you need to call the bank and tell them about the charges that you didn't make.
niyol

Postby julian » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:12 am

Usually when debit cards are used by someone other that yourself, it's a person in the house with you who has access to the card and perhaps your PIN.

Is it possible that your original purchase a while back included a subscription of some kind? That might explain a delayed or recurring charge.
julian

Return to Credit Card Debt