Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Student loan that was forged?

Discuss strategies for dealing with Student Loans

Postby honiahaka » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:52 am

Ok my mother and other family members as well as my self thought it'd be good for me to go to college. Well I went for a few months I decided it wasn't for me and dropped out. See the thing is my mother took the student loans out for me to go. I never seen any extra money nore any financial statements stating what I was paying. Well this was in 2005 in 2009, they started garnishing my wages. Me and my mother are on the rocks they've offseted my taxes and have tooken out of my check for quite sometime. I now have a baby on the way and transitioning jobs and can't have this on my credit report nor having my income taxes plus my check garnished. What should I do?
honiahaka

Postby syd » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:56 am

Ok my mother and other family members as well as my self thought it'd be good for me to go to college. Well I went for a few months I decided it wasn't for me and dropped out. See the thing is my mother took the student loans out for me to go. I never seen any extra money nore any financial statements stating what I was paying. Well this was in 2005 in 2009, they started garnishing my wages. Me and my mother are on the rocks they've offseted my taxes and have tooken out of my check for quite sometime. I now have a baby on the way and transitioning jobs and can't have this on my credit report nor having my income taxes plus my check garnished. What should I do?
sometimes there isn't extra money
and you did go to school

if you think your mom stole your Identity & fraudulently used your name (it does not sound like she did) then you can file a police report & go through the process of attempting to criminally prosecute your mom.... and if the judge charges her with ID theft related to that student loan ------ then you can send that as proof to the loan company & get the garnishment stopped & the history off your credit report

I doubt any judge is going to agree that she stole your ID... because you were the one in school

if she signed your name to paperwork so you could go to school... then that is a civil issue between you & your mom... you would have to go to civil court and sue her for the cost of the loan as well as the cost of collections & the problems it has caused you --- even if the judge awarded you repayment from your mom... it isn't likely that you could get anything removed or changed as it pertains to you & the loan

and I think the rift that attempting to prosecute your mom will cause is really not worth going through the process

Your only 2 choices are:

Accept it & deal with it because it isn't going away

File a police report & go through the process of criminally prosecuting your mom --- have a judge agree that what she did was criminal --- with that you can get the history off your credit report as well as the garnishment stop
syd

Postby honiahaka » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:02 am

You should pay the loans. Even if you were able to win in court, the cost of prosecuting it would be far more than the amount of loans you received for a couple of months of college. And the potential damage to relationships in your family could be the highest cost of all. You may be on the outs with your mother, but other family members are not. If you send your mother to jail over a few thousand dollars of student loan debt, chances are you will create rifts in your family that will last for years.

While it was technically wrong for your mom to sign your name to loans, it seems likely that she did this with your best interest at heart. Many parents do the same thing because often their teenagers are bored or confused by the whole financial aid process and parents are anxious to make sure that it is done right and on time. Honestly.....would you have done it on your own? Your mom wanted to give you a chance for a better life. Why punish her because you dropped out and didn't take advantage of the opportunity she tried to give you?
honiahaka

Postby williamson41 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:08 am

why would you make an immature decision to get pregnant when you owe so much money and can't even afford your bills and are still living with your mother

get a job
williamson41

Return to Student Loans