Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: John Oliver Talks About Student Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

(VERY long) Can a parent collect child support if the child is over 18 and no longer living with them?

Discuss everything relating to mortgages

(VERY long) Can a parent collect child support if the child is over 18 and no longer living with them?

Postby placido90 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:34 pm

I am pretty sure I am going to be asked to leave my mom's house soon. I'm 19. My parents divorced several years ago. I haven't seen my father since, but according to my mother, he's always paid child support.

I don't know whether this applies to the US, but in Canada, while parents are no longer legally required to provide for their adult children, these adult children (such as myself) can continue to live their parents, or in my case, a single parent, as a dependent, and in the case of a divorce or separation, a single parent can request the continuation of child support payments from the parent whom the child does not live with, permitting:

--> The adult child is attending a recognized post-secondary institution (such as college or university, studies in cosmetics and hair styling do not count)
--> The adult child that the parent lives with is being supported by that parent (obviously)
--> The adult child under the age of 25

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/fcy-fea/sup-pen/index.html

This decision has to be made in court, and is not always applicable.

In my case, my father and mother both work in different branches of the government. They both knew my father would be ordered to continue to pay child support since I am in university, so my father didn't bother to argue the continuation of child support for me - he knew my mother would win in court. My mother suspected that he also didn't want to be ordered to pay more child support, since his income has increase substantially. He may argue supporting my younger sister, however, since it doesn't look like she'll be getting into college.

I have a few friends in upper years of university whose parents still pay or receive child support, it's not at all uncommon. However, I know that many people on this forum are from different parts of the world - for example, I've heard that as soon as a child graduates high school in the US, parents aren't legally obligated to pay child support.

I've been trying to establish that my father is not paying child support out of the goodness of his heart, he knows he has to, even though I'm 19.

However, my mother has told me that I may have to start paying her rent. She was asking for an unreasonable amount, $600 a month, when she knows I only make $400ish a month. I can't increase my hours at work because the program I am in is very intense at school. I never study less than 4 hours a day. I was studying right before doing this in fact, this is my "break". I do have some savings, but it's not enough to keep me living here long.

So, first of all, I don't understand how she can legally get away with collecting rent if she is receiving child support, which is supposed to go towards shelter and food. Second, I am now planning on moving into my boyfriends place since I can't afford to live at my mothers. I am on horrible terms with my father. Horrible. My mother and I get along pretty well when she's not asking me to pay rent lol. But my father is the typical soulless lawyer that's at the end of all of those lawyer jokes. We don't get along. I don't want to contact him. But I also don't want my mother to continue getting child support payments if I'm not living with her. She's being selfish at this point. It's not about teaching me responsibility. I'm f*cking responsible for my age. I get excellent grades, my boss loves me and I do really well at work, and I don't get into any sort of trouble (that alone puts me over 70% of my peers in terms of responsibility, unfortunately!). She gets over $2500 each month from my father, and wants another $600 from me? NOT going to happen. Also, I doubt I cost $1250/month (half for my sister). I mean, sure, a lot of that goes towards the mortgage so we have a place to live, but not only does my mother live in that house, the mortgage is her asset - the money she puts into it for "my sake" is still contributing towards the end goal of her owning the home. Also, I can't imagine that I eat more than even $300 worth of food a month since I eat $0.45 instant noodles everything other night when I'm too swamped too cook.

SO. I know this was a very long way to say this, but who can I contact so she cannot collect child support once I move out? I don't want to threaten her with this stuff, we're not even going to have a conversation about it. But the child support (for me, anyway) is going to end when I move. It's not fair that she gets child support for me if she's not supporting me. I don't want to involve my father at all, or tell someone who knows my father or something like that. I just want to deal directly with someone who is trained with this stuff.

Thank you so much for reading the novel that is my question, you deserve a medal or a cookie - whichever you prefer - for reading it alone.
placido90

Postby jokull » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:44 pm

Obviously, you contact your father. If you don't want to involve your father, nothing will happen. He is the only other person who has standing in your support case besides your mother.

You can either inform him when you move, or let it go.
jokull

Postby elliston66 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:45 pm

Obviously, you contact your father. If you don't want to involve your father, nothing will happen. He is the only other person who has standing in your support case besides your mother.

You can either inform him when you move, or let it go.
So write a letter to the court.
Tell them that you have moved out and give them your new address.
Let them handle it.
elliston66

Postby ascott87 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:53 pm

Your father is a lawyer. When the time comes, write him a letter "Dad, I'm no longer living with mom. Here's my new address ...."

Let him do all the legwork to reduce the child support payments.

What you also might want to do is look into the possibility that child support is for the benefit of the child (not the custodial parent). If you are in university, etc. your father may owe YOU support payments. (Hmm..if your father owes, then your mother might also....) You'd need a family law attorney.
ascott87

Return to Mortgages