Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Marrying Into Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

What happens if you steal and then use somebody's debit card?

Credit Card Debt discussions & tips

Postby cornwallis19 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm just wondering, because somebody did that to me today - my debit card must have fallen out of my pants pocket while leaving my car, and I spent a night or two searching for it (as I suspected it may have been somewhere inside my house). Earlier today I checked my online bank statement, and wasn't overly-surprised to discover that somebody had purchased $20 worth of gasoline from a Speedway 30 minutes from my house. I was in a college class while the transaction occurred, and I typically don't buy gas there but every month or so.

I called my bank and had the card canceled, and then contacted Speedway. The person who picked up the phone at the station said they'd be able to go through their surveillance tapes as soon as the transaction was authorized for the full amount; I'm not worried about getting my money back. In fact, I'm a bit amused by the entire ordeal, as purchasing gas on a stolen card seems like the absolute most idiotic thing you could possibly do. Not only did they fuel up in a lot that's mostly likely under surveillance, but they paid for the transaction INSIDE the store, meaning that both their license plate number and their face is going to be on camera.

So I'm sort of wondering what's going to happen to this ******** tomorrow or Sunday when they get busted for being a big dummy.
cornwallis19

Postby cruim » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:46 pm

Well, they probably won't be caught if it was just 20 dollars of gas and they haven't bought anything else. They also probably went to a gas station not near where they live or one that they frequent so as to not get caught.

The police aren't going to post their picture on the web and if no one recognizes them, then they will get away. There is a chance you'll be left on the hook though since it was a debit card and not a credit card even if they ran it as a credit card. I think the max you can be held liable for is 50 dollars with a debit card. I would start checking with your bank to make sure that they will in fact refund your money,
cruim

Postby birde35 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:57 pm

I went to jail yesterday over weed and met a girl that had been there 8 months for stealing someones elses card and will be there about another year or so.. she spent about $3500 dollars.
birde35

Postby burney » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:06 pm

Once they find the person

Theyll hand cuff him
Put in in the backseat of a police car
Take him to jail
Put him in a cell
Charge him with theft of credit card and credit card fraud
burney

Postby peyton89 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:15 pm

The charges laid will be identity theft and fraud should the perpetrator be caught.
peyton89

Postby isidoro6 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:33 pm

they will go to jail
isidoro6

Return to Credit Card Debt