Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

What if I marry in February do I have to file taxes as married or single for this year?

Taxes! We hate paying them, so let's discuss maximizing tax deductions!

What if I marry in February do I have to file taxes as married or single for this year?

Postby job47 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:42 am

I am getting married in Feb and was wondering how I would need to file my taxes. What if I do my taxes before I get married? does it change? Thank you for your help!
job47

Postby hillocke » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:46 am

getting married in 2013 has zero to do with
your 2012 filling.

find a library for free books and info so u can
learn how to file.
hillocke

Postby karcsi » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:51 am

you were not married in 2012, you don't file married for 2012
karcsi

Postby kelsey » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:52 am

Your status for filing is what it was the last day of the year. For this filing this spring, that's 12/31/2012
kelsey

Postby aidan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:55 am

The taxes being done now are the taxes for last year. You would need to file them as single, because that is what you were last year.

Your taxes for this year are not filed until next year. If you are still married at the end of this year, or your spouse dies during this year while still married to you, then you file those taxes as married. If you get divorced this year, then you file those taxes as separate.

It does not matter whether you file before or after you get married. Each year, you file taxes for the previous year, and what matters is whether you were married or not when that year ended (on December 31 of that year).
aidan

Return to Taxes