Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: John Oliver Talks About Student Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

What makes a person so cheap (money wise)?

Share tips for saving money and making the most of your income

Postby gann » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:59 am

My boyfriend and I have known each other since we were like 5 years old. We're both 22 now and I'm going to be moving in with him soon. He's never had much money. I remember his parent's house had a big hole in the roof and he was always really, really skinny and wore his big brother's hand-me-downs even though they were way too big for him.
He's still really thin and wears the same clothes he wore in high school, like 4 or 5 years ago. I try to cook for him as much as I can and he's put on a little weight and is going to need to get some new clothes soon. But it's more than that. His apartment is so empty. You walk in and the room is empty. The kitchen cupboards are almost bare. He has like no kitchen utensils or anything because he doesn't cook. He told me he only spends like $10 a week on groceries. Instead of fast food or going to restaurants, he loves frozen pizzas, but never buys them because he said they're too expensive. He won't even buy the shampoo he likes that costs like $3.50. Instead he buys whatever he can get the cheapest with coupons. He doesn't go anywhere besides to his job at a factory and then home again. He tells me he just doesn't like going out or being around people. I mean our when we go out, it's great. I know he doesn't make much money, so we just go for a drive or a walk or watch tv or even play board games and it's fun. But I just look at how sad he is sometimes and wonder what made him this way. I know he's got over $15,000 saved up because he's had a job since he was 14. But I don't know what he's saving it for.
gann

Postby delano » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:03 am

You just explained why he's the way he is. Try growing up dirt poor sometime. You'll learn the real value of a dollar. Money doesn't make you enjoy your life.
delano

Postby teiji » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:11 am

Who cares what he is saving it for? And have you ever thought that YOU make him happy? To me it's sounds pretty nice that he knows how to save money unlike the rest of our generation doing drugs and what not. You found a hubby material kinda guy. weather you believe it or not once you're in you 30-40's life isnt some big party. Your boyfriend just chilled out a little earlier than normal. Also, is he jewish?
teiji

Return to Money Saving Tips