Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: John Oliver Talks About Student Debt

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Why would "social security administration" request my credit report from credit bureau?

Is your credit score looking bad? Tips on how to improve it.

Why would "social security administration" request my credit report from credit bureau?

Postby bramwell8 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:47 am

Sounds like you got a scam email.

Be more careful. They check your credit on their own if they need it.
bramwell8

Postby chace » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:53 am

They won't. You've given out too much information and are about to be scammed. Never give that info out. The SSA has the ability to get into all your info...they don't need you to give permission.
chace

Postby alwin » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:59 am

towanda is correct. I suppose they would look to see if you're married, what your job is, how you're paying your bills (if you're behind, but if you're paying them well they might wonder where your money is coming from). I have no idea what all they base their payments on but if you're married you might get less, am not sure.
alwin

Postby torrance71 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:05 am

It's an unusual request, but if you are applying for some kind of assistance, welfare, disability or something, they may need it.

Just be sure that you are actually working with the Soc Sec Admin on an issue and that you didn't just get an email asking for it out of the blue.
torrance71

Postby kasey » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:12 am

Good question. There really is no reason for the SSA to need your credit report. Are you sure there's an inquiry from the real SSA?
kasey

Return to Credit Reports and Credit Scores