Not logged in? Join one of the largest Debt Reduction Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Student Debt in the Headlines

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

FTC Debt Reduction Advice
FTC Money Matters Website
National Foundation For Credit Counselling
Debt Reduction UK
MyMoney.Gov

Will a Credit Union consolidate a Sallie Mae loan?

Discuss strategies for dealing with Student Loans

Postby job47 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:34 am

In 2005 or 2006 my brother took out a loan to pay for his piece of s*** 2 year college education at Westwood. Anyways he graduated "best of the best" couldn't find a job in his field, then economy went down, soon after my dad was really sick, and then my brother moved out (the loan was split in two portions & he paid his... and did not offer to help my parents with the rest.)

THE PROBLEM IS - I will be attending a real university soon and i don't know what to do, i have a part time job, currently attend a community college, i receive a small amount of financial aid, but it wont cover the cost of university. I will be the one that will end up paying my brother student loan, so will a credit union help me out?? I also don't have any kind of credit, credit history, or any bills under my name.

btw: there isn't much my parents can do thats why i am taking over.
job47

Postby azzai » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:40 am

I seriously doubt that a credit union will do a student loan consolidation. Credit unions do not offer the full range of services found at banks.

But it is foolish of you to take on these student loans. Your parent's may not be able to pay these loans but it is your brother's responsibility, not yours. You should concentrate at paying for your own education. After you graduate and get established, you can then think about using extra funds to help your parents pay off your brother's student loans.
azzai

Return to Student Loans